Skip to main content

Snowed...

The call came in this morning at 6:00.

Snow day.

Sadly the weather in our part of the state did not live up to the hype, which has left our snow day feeling a little wasted. The chance to sleep in, catch up on Downton Abby episodes, and start the process of filing our taxes was much appreciated. Two cups of coffee were enjoyed. Cinnamon rolls (originally frozen) we baked. Sidewalks were shoveled.

I really don't mind shoveling the snow on snow days. (Well, most snow days.) Today was a warm, windless shoveling experience. The snow was wet and heavy and it didn't take long for the sidewalk and drive to melt down once I removed the layer of wet. What makes shoveling our sidewalks the most sucky is the long stretch, living on the corner, and the uneven state of our many years old walkways. But as a walker of dogs, even in winter, and a mother of kids who walk to and from school every day, shovel I will because I know what a pain in the ass those stretches are to walk that do not regularly get cleared after winter weather.  

Tomorrow I'm guessing life will return to it's normal hectic pace. But for the remainder of today I'm going to look at other people's amazing snow pictures on social media, dig through my yarn stash in search of my next knitting project, and sip another warm beverage or 2.

Stay warm friends!


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace