Friday, January 11, 2013

Parenthood...

The teacher whose room I work in this year is expecting her first baby in March. While I can honestly say I have ZERO desire to have another baby, it has been fun watching her belly grow and to get caught up in her excitement. She's gonna be a great Mom.

Today I had to make a visit to the Principal's office with a concern. I didn't like going to the Principals office as a kid. (Not that I was a frequent visitor.) I'm not much more comfortable going there as a parent. Never in a million years would I have expected to be dealing with an issue centered around the subject of our conversation with a daughter who is in 5th grade. As a Mom it breaks my heart to know words were thoughtlessly said by another student that hurt my daughter. As member of our school community, and of the greater world, it saddens me to see the innocence of childhood fade at an increasingly younger age these days.

Parenthood, like so much of life, is an ever educational journey it seems. It would be really easy to get down about having to face tough issues with one of our girls an age when life should still be relatively carefree. The mother bear inside me wants to gather my cubs and pull them into our den to protect them from the evils of the world for just a little bit longer. I occasionally find myself thinking about how nice it would be to have the ability to turn back the clock to a time when I, much as my classroom teacher, was focused on the tough decisions of which diapers to use, how many onsies and burp clothes I would need to get through the week, and what bottles would be best to use with my breastfed babes. My-o-my have my parenting worries changed since those early days.

As much as my heart is broken over the conversations of the last 24 hours, it is also filled with much hope. We are lucky to have fostered a positive, trusting relationship with our daughter to the point that she felt comfortable coming to us to ask for help in her time of need. I feel confident in the care and support she gets from trusted adults at school when tough situations arise. The past 2 years have started to show us they will arise, whether we like it or not. I am thankful that in addition to being my awesome co-workers, those trusted adults listen to our concerns as parents with compassion and work to keep lines of communication open with all parties involved.

As the old African proverb says, "It takes a whole village to raise a child." Without family close by, I sometimes worry about if we have chosen the right village. For now this is our village, and I am thankful for the members of our community who offer their support as we take those unknown steps on our parenting journey.

These two little ladies...



they are the world to me. I know we are going to need the assistance of our village to help them continue to blossom into the amazing human beings they have already started to show they each are. They have taught me so much about the goodness of the human spirit, and the power of deep, endless, truly unconditional love. I can't even imagine what lessons parenthood has left to teach. I'm trying my best to be a good student.


peace

No comments: