Skip to main content

Ageless? Aged?

I have a hard time remembering my age sometimes. I often tell people I think it's because I started dating Scott in high school when we were so young and still to this day he can make me feel like that giddy teenager. Or because we dated and got married in college, even before I could legally drink in public, and it's been like we just continued living in frozen time. But mainly I think it's because even though the years tick past I just don't FEEL any different at 37 than I think I felt at say 25. I'm just me, regardless of age.

Then today it happened, a new co-worker, a very young new co-worker made a comment that clearly (though I am sure not maliciously) pointed out the difference in our age. Wow. Apparently not everyone sees me as the youngster that I feel I am. And well, my 20th high school reunion is coming up next summer. And we are celebrating Scott's LAST thirty something birthday next week, which means mine is only 18 months behind. And I have a 5th grader! Do you realize that come the end of the year that 5th grader will have completed 1/2 of the first stage of her academic career?

Age is such an interesting thing as an adult. In most instances it really means nothing as we tend to surround ourselves with people of common interests regardless of age. But at the same time it's getting harder and hard to ignore the fact that I am indeed getting older...and damn it I STILL don't know what I want to BE when I grow up.

I need more time...


peace



p.s. This is part of my new just writing series where I am challenging myself to sit and write a little bit almost every day because it just makes me feel better...and it keeps my brain young and active ...and as we've already established in this post no body is getting any YOUNGER over here!

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace