Today was one of those days. There were ups. And downs. My mind is spinning as our evening winds down. I really want to sit here whining about the downs...kinda big ones as far as life stresses go...but I can't let them overshadow the ups. So I'm just going to share a few of the bits of info streaming through my head...
- I was informed today by a couple of students that I have been called some names on the bus that can not be repeated because they contain language "not appropriate for school." While I try not to let my self esteem be tied to the opinions of 10-11-year-olds, it bothers me a little bit that at least some of them see me as nothing more than a big ol' bitch.
- My 5th technology students have started shooting their student designed and directed animations. After a rocky start at the end of last week, 2 groups very successfully worked through getting their ideas "on film" this week. The look on their faces as they watched the first rough cut play of their animations was priceless. That wonder is why all the unpaid time I have put (and will be putting) into organizing this project and the stress of seeing it all through is a sacrifice so totally worth making.
- Tonight was Brea's spring parent-teacher conference. She is a very good student, and well liked by her teachers and peers. Maybe even more fun that hearing how well she is doing in her learning was watching her in her element. As we walked throughout the school she was busy, busy saying hello or waving to fellow students and a variety of teachers and school helpers. Her teacher commented about how Brea makes her smile everyday. We totally understand because she is pure sunshine.
- The mailbox was the bearer of some stressful info today. To be fair the news is really of no surprise given our track record with handling our finances, but seeing the reality in black and white really drives the message home. It's kinda ironic really that the pursuit of and paying for our own higher education has significantly contributed to our being in a place where we may never be able to start saving to help pay for our kid's future educational endeavors.
- Today's mailbox contents has in one fell swoop turned up the volume on my worry about what's going to happen when the school year comes to a close. No school = no paycheck for Jenn.
- I ran into a friend I haven't seen for a couple months tonight at the grocery store. That could not have happened on a better night. It brought a smile to my face. It was so good to see her...I hope we can run into each other more often.
- We girls are all so excited for spring break. Brea has been verbalizing on a daily basis (sometimes several times a day) the number of days left until we leave for Grandma's house. I'm pretty sure Grandma is also counting down the days until we arrive.
- My brother is joining us on our trip west this spring. That makes my heart happier than I can even explain.