Skip to main content

Simple Luxury...

The girls and I ran away to Omaha for a very quick 24(ish) hour visit this weekend. We loaded the car and departed Carlisle at 11:00 am on Saturday. We were home and fully unloaded by 2:15 pm on Sunday. As short as our trip may have been, it was made for the BEST reason...to spend time with dear friends.


I don't know that I can say it was a restful trip. With only a few short hours to spend together, we did not devote many of them to sleeping. But in its own way it was refreshing. The pool was visited. Shopping was done. Wine was drank. Good food was consumed.


And of course we talked. And talked. And talked. It's what Jen and I do. And when we only get together in person every 4-6 months there's always A LOT of catching up to do.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in LaVista. While I know for some staying at a place like the Embassy Suites is the norm when spending a night away from home, for our family it's a luxury only afforded because of the generosity of my dear friend. I was reminded of that fact when we walked in and Lexi's eyes got about 3 times larger than their normal size while she commented "This HAS to be a 5 star hotel."


Sometimes it's the innocent comments of our children remind us to stop for a moment and appreciate the goodness around us. While the Embassy Suites does not qualify for those coveted 5 stars, a stay there is always a welcome break from normal life. The beds are made with soft, clean, crisp linens. The bathrooms are clean...and I didn't have to scrub them. Drinks are served in the beautiful atrium to guests during happy hour and a hot made-to-order breakfast is served there in the morning. The only expectation from me at either time is to enjoy myself.

And the staff, even with a large conference being hosted in the adjoining conference center, were so nice. The guys at the bell service desk may have been some of the most friendly, most helpful hotel staff I have EVER encountered. They gladly helped guests in and out with bags and luggage carts despite the sub-freezing temps we experienced in the Mid-west this weekend. They even joked with our girls as they sat at the cool round bench just outside of the elevators waiting for Jen to bring her car up. All with a genuine smile on their faces. I imagine that when you work for a hotel it, at times, can be a challenge to remain friendly given the variety of personalities that can walk through the doors on any given day. I hope those guys know how much their kindness is appreciated by many.

Kindness...it makes all the difference in the world.


peace

Comments

Canada said…
glad you had a great time! and I LOVE the Midwest for its kindness!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace