Saturday, December 10, 2011

Cheap Therapy...

*** I've been writing this post on and off for over a week. I've decided it's just time to put it out there and move on.


It's that time of year. The time when days are getting shorter. And colder. The time of year when we move our activities inside and have a tendency to become a bit like hermits snuggling up with movies, knitting, board games, books, and cups of warm beverages. And it's that time of year when I find myself making my way back to the gym to pound out the miles on the hamster wheel known as a treadmill for some heat creating, calorie burning and cheap mental therapy.

Every year I think OK, I'm ready for this. I know what to expect. I have the tools needed to handle the variety of emotions I find myself facing this time of year. This year IS going to be better. Despite my attempt at positive thinking, I'm amazed at how easily my optimism can be be derailed.

I have a lot of random thoughts running through my head these days. I have a hard time defining them all. Maybe that's my problem, maybe definition is not what I need. I'm trying to face them in a way that both honors my inner being and keeps perspective on the privilege that is my life. In one word I'm feeling...unsettled. And as we have established before, that's not a feeling with which I can sit with very well.

Hence the trips to the gym for cheap therapy.

This too, as the seasons always do, shall pass.


peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SUNSHINE=cheap therapy. I sit in it at noon and every minute possible to keep me going for the winter. Enjoy a few warm rays yourself.