Skip to main content

Exploring File Formats...

Warning...this post is all about photography blaa, blaa, blaa. Feel free to skip if photography is not your thing, I'm just playing again.

The other day over at The CoffeeShop Blog, Rita explained her take on shooting RAW vs JPG. (Image file formats.) And since I read her post, I've been thinking...

For a couple of years I have been shooting exclusively in RAW format. Why? Well because so many digital photography focused websites/books/chat forums have always said RAWs are a far superior file format for "serious" photographers. And for the most part I like shooting RAW files and playing with them when I edit, except for those times when I just want to snap a picture of every day life and slap it up on my blog (or on Facebook) to share with friends and family without the effort and time required for editing a RAW image. No to mention the computer on which I edit all my RAW photos is old, and tired, and needs more memory AGAIN (thank you huge RAW files even though I have most of you stored on an external hard drive +huge software program required to work on you), and contains exactly ONE program that can read my RAW files...a program mind you that has 4 newer versions but that I can not afford to upgrade. (OK, really I have 2, but I don't like to use one.) And then there's the point this post makes. Interesting.

So today while I was testing out my new light/flash reflector (aka the silver car window shade that I bought on clearance at Target for $6.31) I decided to to a little comparison of file formats to see just exactly what difference it makes. My subject, the flowers given to me over 2 weeks ago by my lovely husband for our anniversary. This shot is nothing special, but I thought provided enough variety in colors and contrast to be able to make some comparisons. The photo was snapped using my 50 mm lens with flash bounced off the ceiling behind me to add to the natural light coming from the window just to the right of the flowers.

First up, the RAW file straight out of the camera (downsized for posting obviously)...


Followed by the JPG file straight out of the camera...


Then I processed the RAW file two ways. First "by hand", or step by step as I had been processing RAW files before I started using action sets...


And finally a RAW file processed using action sets...


The end result...other than the unprocessed RAW file looking totally flat, there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference in the end image in this particular instance. In fact I might venture to say I like the JPG image which required me to do nothing besides take the picture the best. Which makes me think I'll be shooting JPGs a little more often in the coming months.

Tomorrow I'm taking pictures at a family event. Some will be inside in poor lighting. Some will be outside in the bright summer sun (well, maybe I should say available outside light given how many clouds we have had hanging around lately). I could have the need to white balance adjust the indoor images being that they will be taken in a church...so I think as a test I'm going to shoot RAW+JPG...which means I'll be eating up my memory card in large bites. Good think it's a biggie.

Pre-shoot nerves...that's basically what this is. I wonder if they ever go away?


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace