Skip to main content

Friday Fiber...

I feel like it's been a long time since I've had any fiber goodness to share. After finishing my "15 month" socks and Scott's Dashing Mitts, the only project I've had hanging around in my knitting bag is a circular shrug for Miss Lexi (Ravelry link). It's a project that I'm finding to be less than inspiring. I've been reminded how much I dislike knitting with cotton, but I keep plugging away and I've just got an inch or so of 3x1 edging to finish before I'm out of yarn and it's off the needles. While I had planned to make a similar shrug for Miss Brea, I do believe her celery green yarn will have to express itself through a different pattern.

Today the weather has turned from sunny and warm, to gray and wet. According to the forecast we best get used to the cooler temps for a bit after a teaser of 80s last weekend. No better time to tackle casting on a new project or two, right?

While visiting Western Nebraska for spring break I, of course, made my annual trip to the Brown Sheep Co. outlet (actually twice this time) to pick up some fibery goodness. This year I went with a list of yardage for actual projects. I know, novel concept. One of the "needs" on my list was yarn for a Rhodocrosite wrap. I fell in love with this wrap the moment I saw it on Ravelry. I love the simple, geometric design and the gorgeous red color of the original. The only thing I don't like about this pattern is that to obtain it I had to buy the whole Berroco pattern book in which it appears. I'm not really a fan of any of the other patterns in the book, which means at $19 this might be the most expensive pattern I will ever purchase. After looking at a card of all the color options available at Brown's, my Mom and I chose...red.


I've never knit from a cone before, but after realizing that buying a cone meant no mid-pattern yarn joins, and hence no mid-pattern ends to weave and hide, I was sold! I didn't have the right sized needles to get this project started sooner, but after the post office dropped off a small order from Knit Picks last week, I'm all set to go!

I'm a sucker for savings (you know, that whole tight budget thing), so when I order from Knit Picks I always make sure I can place an order large enough to qualify for free shipping. Which means I make a list of items desired and then wait for the stars to align until I can place an order. This most recent celebration of Yarnica has been made possible by a recently received rebate that came as a Visa card. (Thank you US Cellular!) So obviously a single set of needle tips were not the only thing in my box. I fully blame THE Yarn Harlot for triggering my obsession with spillyjane patterns. I told myself that I couldn't even THINK about knitting up a pair of Jane's mitts until I finished my "15 month" socks. Check! So the needle tips to cast on Rhodocrosite simply filled out the wish list I had already started with the DP needle set and yarn to knit these. I think I'm gonna make the fingerless version so that I can wear them for more than just cold weather wear. I kinda excited, and at the same time terrified, to tackle my first color work project. Choosing a color combo was crazy hard with all the option in the Palette line, but I settled on Currant and Oyster Heather.


I'm so in love with the Currant. I think I see more of it in my knitting future...specifically in regards to this lace wrap (Ravelry link).

I'm hoping that with some smaller, lighter projects in queue, my knitting won't take a total back seat this spring/summer like it has the past 2 years. (Knitting a large wool bag to felt and a wool sweater over the past 2 summers respectively were less than brilliant plans.) However, it's hard to knit while I'm pedaling down the trail on Daisy regardless of project size and weight. Just sayin'.


peace

Comments

Laurie said…
Lovely colors, especially the red. I just had to add that shrug to my queue - looks like so much fun to knit!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace