Skip to main content

Not Again...

It's happened several times over the past 8 months. I'm in the middle of a task or I'll start planning a project and I go in search of a craft item/some paper work/that old "whatever" I thought might come in handy one day. And I search. And I pull things out of our new attic space. And I dig through boxes. I can SEE the item in our old house in my head, knowing exactly where it lived in our basement full of random stuff. Yet in the travels from there to here I have no clue where it might be...or if it even made the trip.

Most of the time the item I'm searching for is actually of little importance. Generally it simply means switching to plan B after I spend most of the day frantically searching with no success. Except for today.

Today I started prepping our tax return. Today I needed to find the paperwork from when we originally bought our house in Grinnell over 6 years ago. Today I went to the file box on top of which that folder of papers has lived for the past 6 years (it was an extra long folder so it didn't actually fit inside) only to find...no paperwork. So up to the attic I went to find the box labeled "random paperwork to be filed" only to find, no house purchasing paperwork. And after digging through several boxes, retracing my steps 3 times, and then looking AGAIN I have found...no house buying paperwork.

I'm angry.

I'm ashamed to admit how angry it makes me. Angry that the time from February of last year when we decided to take the steps towards listing the house until July after we had made the physical relocation is simply a blur. Angry that in my quest to de-clutter and simplify our belongings I apparently didn't make very good choices about what to off load and what to keep. Angry that when I go hunting for a specific item, what I generally find are a few boxes of holiday decorations, a few boxes of memories, and a whole lotta random useless shit. Angry that I felt so alone during the whole process of sorting and packing our lives up while at the same time that I tried to keep the girls on their normal schedule, my teaching schedule going, and plans made to move my business and our home. And now angry that I feel similarly so as I try to make sense of the stuff that actually made the trip. Angry that through the years I haven't figured out a better system for keeping track of the really important stuff as I sift through all the clutter that a family of 4 can so quickly accumulate.

I'm trying really hard to just let it go. After all, nothing is probably REALLY that important...including the house purchase paperwork. I guess we'll find out if we ever get audited. I'm trying to just let it go...but obviously if I'm sharing this with you all, I'm not doing a very good job at the moment. I guess just like figuring out a good filing system, it's a work in progress.

Thanks for letting me vent.


peace

Comments

s said…
Jenn - I understand how you feel! One thing we did was buy a cheap scanner and now everything gets scanned - medical bills, tax returns, mortgages, pet things, etc.

Good luck!!
MS said…
Venting is a must! Hope it turns up...hugs...
Jane said…
An awful feeling for sure. Is it possible to obtain copies? Such a hassle all this paperwork and taxes!

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace