Friday, February 25, 2011

Why Didn't I Think of That...

I have a love-hate relationship with oatmeal.

I LOVE the taste of oats. We use quite a bit of oat flour in place of wheat flour these days and I love how it gives our pancakes, waffles, and muffins that distinctive nutty, oatty flavor. I adore granola...which is mostly oats in most cases. No bake cookies? Um, yes please.

However, I hate oatmeal as a hot cereal. Obviously it's not the taste...it's the texture. No matter how I try to get past it, my gag reflex starts to kick in about 1/2 way through eating a bowl. I've tried just about every thing I could think of to be able to enjoy the warm, filling, budget friendly goodness of a warm bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, to no avail. And it's not just oatmeal, warm tapioca pudding and even Quinoa (which I normally can't get enough of) prepared like a hot cereal does the same thing.

Earlier this week Mark Bittman wrote in the New York Times about McDonald's latest addition of oatmeal to its menu as a "healthy" breakfast option. (Side note: I'm in LOVE with Mr. Bittman's new opinion column and his no-nonsense approach to pointing out why the American food culture is so screwed up and fast tracking us to a future filled with obesity, disease, and environmental ruin.) I, like Bittman, think it's a little crazy to take the time drive through to pick up something you can just as easily make at home at a considerably lower cost. So of course I was all "You go boy!" reading his article. But then towards the end, this little bit grabbed me...

If you don’t want to bother with the stove at all, you could put some rolled oats (instant not necessary) in a glass or bowl, along with a teeny pinch of salt, sugar or maple syrup or honey, maybe some dried fruit. Add milk and let stand for a minute (or 10). Eat.

Cold oatmeal? Brilliant! I mean what's granola after all...toasted, COLD oatmeal. So guess what's I've been eating for breakfast this week...


Turns out that cold oatmeal doesn't trigger my gag reflex at all. A little drizzle of honey, a sprinkle of flax seed, and today, some fresh cut strawberries and viola!

Yea for oatmeal!!!


peace

3 comments:

Jane said...

Looks totally yummy! I'm afraid I'm a bit of a bore at breakfast - Kashi or Post Raisin Bran.

MS said...

I don't believe it! You and oatmeal?! :-) That Mark Bittman...he's sneaky. (My Mark teases me about stalking MB.) Glad you've found a way to add this deliciousness to your life! I will try this approach!

Laurie said...

I used to have the same reaction to oatmeal as you. I got over it by loading my oatmeal up with nuts and fruit (both fresh and dried). I don't think I could handle cold oatmeal, but I can even eat oat bran cereal if it's all fruitednutted up. :-)