Saturday, February 19, 2011

From White to Yellow...

Today Lexi attended her first Tae Kwon Do testing session. On Monday she will be receiving her new yellow belt from her instructor, Mr. Crawford. I unfortunately couldn't attend the testing with her, so I sent Scott with the camera to catch what he could of the experience.

Here Lexi and her fellow young white belts are performing their form, Chon-Ji.



And then, of course, there's the board breaking.



Scott and I are so incredibly proud of her. And more importantly, Lexi told me she is proud of herself. I don't know that I can express how hearing her say those words brings joy to my heart. As someone who, in adulthood, has found a great appreciation for how self confidence and self acceptance can come through the regular practice of physical pursuits (for me, yoga & cycling), I'm overjoyed that Lexi is starting to get a taste of those benefits at the youthful age of 9.


peace

4 comments:

Peg mavin said...

I'm proud of Lexi too, just watching the videos brought tears to my eyes! Thanks for sharing!

Enid said...

well done, Lexi!!!!!

MS said...

Congrats to Lexi! Awesome job! I started taking tae kwon do with the kids and broke my first board today. You can tell Lexi she outranks me! :-)

Anonymous said...

Great job!