Skip to main content

DPS Assignment: Catching Up...

Many months ago I came across an online photography forum called Digital Photography School. I think I ended up there when I was looking for more information on white balance. Any who, I signed up for the weekly e-newsletter from DSP and have quite enjoyed the variety of articles written by a host of photographers from all over the world. The forum also poses a weekly challenge...a photo assignment with a theme. After poking around on the discussion boards a bit through December, I decided that with the turn of the calendar maybe I would participate in the weekly assignment if for no other reason than to help me keep shooting even through the winter months when my camera can lay untouched for days (even weeks) at a time.

Last week I submitted my first photo for the theme "Brand New". I had just started knitting the Dashing Mitts for Scott so I chose knitting as my model.


To my COMPLETE surprise, my photo was featured as one of the two runner-ups for the winners of the "Brand New" theme. Funny because I wouldn't consider this one of my better photos for a number of reasons. Even so, I have gotten several nice comments about the photo...and quite a few new contacts on Flickr. Mostly knitters...wouldn't you know. (I should note, you don't actually "win" anything but the recognition. But hey, sometimes a little recognition is nice!)

I decided it might be fun to post the photos I submit for each weekly assignment here...you know, so you can see what crazy ideas are keeping my camera shutter clicking. The current assignment drawing to a close is "A Spot of Color." I guess I took it literally...



Next week's assignment..."Still Life: Food". Oh how I wish it were the season of fresh produce!

I should note, thanks to a respiratory bug that keep my recliner bound for a good part of 2 days last week...the Dashing Mitts have been finished. I have yet to take a final picture of them...


peace

Comments

Anonymous said…
This Spot is a winner! Trust me.
Aunt Carol
Jenny said…
I just love your photography! It is always so nice to come to your blog and watch all the amazing photos you put up.

Hugs / Jenny
Jane said…
I love your photos! Congrats! Can't wait to see Dashing, too.
Laurie said…
Congrats! Your pictures are wonderful! Hope you are feeling better fast.

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace