Skip to main content

Thank Goodness for Knitting...

This is apparently how much knitting I can accomplish while watching Christmas Vacation...


(I'm not a very fast knitter.)


It's the start of a handwarmer for my MIL. She had requested some last fall and with my lace scarf, sweater, and my Mom's socks and moebius, they never made it on the needles. Now that I have the knitting done on my first crack at a shawl (which I'm now SLOWLY binding off with the required sewn bind off) my row counter has been freed up for a new project. These are a cross between my good ol' standard self designed handwarmer pattern and the Brainbridge Mitts pattern over at Spicy Jellybean Knits blog. The cuff is a twisted rib with a broken rib body. I wasn't sure at first how I felt about the twisted rib, but it's growing on me as the twist of knitting through the back loop makes the knit ribs very dense and raised over the looser purl columns. With any luck I may be able to knock these out over the long holiday weekend and send my MIL back to KC with warmer hands. (But don't hold me too that...remember, slow knitter on board.)

Our Christmas Eve has begun as it should...lazily. I'm sipping my home-made latte with a touch of egg nog. Scott is out playing in the newly fallen snow with his new hand-me-down snow blower. The girls are eating Clementines and watching Santa Buddies. I have a bit of cleaning to do, gifts to sort and wrap, photos to sort through to put together some sort of an electronic holiday greeting for this here blog (since once again sending a print card was not in the Mavin holiday budget), and candied corn to make for our snacking pleasure. On one hand I am feeling a bit inadequate for all that I have NOT accomplished this holiday season (and for that matter, this YEAR). On the other I am completely happy to be doing nothing more than enjoying the morning with those I love near.

My coffee cup is empty...and my knitting looks lonely sitting here beside me as I type. Hoping you too find yourself enjoying the simple joys of the season today. May your home, and your heart, be filled with the warmth of friends, family, and the blessing of togetherness. And to those who are not near at this time of year, may you know how much you are loved.


peace

Comments

Jane said…
Merry Christmas! It sounds like a perfectly lovely day. Clementines - we all love them! Try to shake that inadequate feeling. I've felt that too often. I think, especially moms, that we always feel like there is something more to be done during this season. It's too much pressure to put on ourselves. Enjoy your coffee, enjoy your knitting and enjoy your family!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace