Skip to main content

Function First...

I realize I haven't shared very many pictures of our new house with you all yet. Sorry for that. It's just that since we moved and I have lacked a consistent source of significant income, we haven't really gotten to do much for home improvement projects. And while we love our new home, it needs some new paint and some art on the walls before it really reflects us. I'm hoping with my business opening at the onset of October that we'll soon have a few extra $$$s to start sprucing up the place. (At least that's my wishful thinking!)

But today I introduce you to...our shower head...


Now imagine with me, if you will, walking into a bathroom twice the size of our old bathroom to the the sight of a claw-foot tub outfitted with this adorable porcelain shower head. Love! Can I tell you how much I love the size of our new bathroom AND the fact I finally have my very own claw-foot tub?

Claw.

Foot.

Tub.

Need I say more?

Unfortunately what we discovered is that the porcelain shower head, while very cute, kinda sucks when it comes to actually taking a shower. See all these little holes...


While one would assume they would create a nice soft rain-head sort of experience, it's more like a spring-sprinkle experience. The spray pattern created is really large without much volume or pressure, which makes shampoo removal quite a lengthy process. Functional? Yes. Enjoyable? Not overly.

This past weekend when I went to Iowa City for yoga training my friend Monica and I splurged and stayed in a hotel. After my first shower I commented to Monica about how much more enjoyable the shower at the hotel was than at our house. So when I got home I decided the cute, but functionally weak, shower head had to go. And what do you know, on a trip to Target during which I found myself in the shower hardware isle to purchase a new shower caddy, I found the exact Moen low flow shower heads that had been at the hotel...on clearance for HALF PRICE!

I don't think I need to spell out the rest of the story...




Amazing at how $10 well spent can make such a big change. And it only took me 3 tries to get it on without leaks. (I should know by now, just use the plumber's thread tape the first time!) And even though it's not quite as cute as the porcelain head, I think it fits nicely with the over-all charm of our old, claw-foot tub containing bathroom. Plus, functionally...ahhhhh.

Next on the bathroom upgrades...some new paint...and eventually a new sink...and some tile back splash...and...well maybe I best just stop there.


peace

Comments

Laurie said…
There truly is nothing like a claw-foot tub. And while I, too, adore the look of that porcelain shower head, I need something that will produce water pressure just this side of firehose strength! LOL!
Sara said…
I think the new shower head is just as cute....and even cuter when functionality and frugality are added!
Sara said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace