Skip to main content

The Poor 2nd Child...

You know how the story goes. The first born child gets all the attention, all the photos, all the neurotic parenting...and then the second child comes along and life relaxes. Apparently in my case that meant relaxing so much as to have NO idea where I put Brea's birth certificate...a necessary document for the start of pre-school next week. I have: her SS card, the receipt from her emergency trip to the hospital at 10 days old for treatment of Jaundice, a letter from our state representative wishing us congrats on her birth, a copy of the newspaper the day she was born. But no birth certificate. In fact I don't remember ever even receiving said birth certificate. I mean one would think if I had I would have put it in the same spot as all the other important documents in our lives...marriage license, Lexi's birth certificate, the dog's vet records...you know, all the important stuff. But as everyone who has gone through the first few weeks of new parent life knows, one's memory of that time after the fact isn't necessary always historically correct on how things REALLY were. But I digress.

So yesterday Brea and I took a field trip to the state office of vital records to request a copy. Luckily we now live a short 15 minute drive from said offices. And it gave us a chance for a photo opp in front of the Iowa State Capitol.


I've now lived in Iowa 11 years and I don't know that I will ever (even now that we see it more often) get tired of the beauty of the capitol building. Next summer the girls and I are going to make a point of going look INSIDE the capitol.

It's the 3rd day of school and I'm already making a list of "things to do next summer." Nice. As much as I love fall and the return of school I'm obviously having a little trouble letting go of the freedom of summer. Maybe just a little...


peace

Comments

Jane said…
Haha, wait to you get to the 4th child! Thanks for stopping by today. I love the new beginnings at this time of year....and the Capitol is gorgeous! I love discovering the beauty around us.
Laurie said…
I LOVE old capitol and courthouse buildings! The courthouse in my hometown (Newark, Ohio) is amazing, too. I used to work with a couple who were on a mission to photograph every state capitol and as many old courthouse buildings as possible.

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace