Skip to main content

Perspective...

Sometimes I have to remind myself to keep perspective on the happenings of life. While our move this summer has been hard for me emotionally as I try to find my place in our new community, I also have to remember to appreciate the good it has brought into our lives.
  • Our house simply makes us happy. It has such a great spirit with its old house character, open spaces, and lovely light thanks to the many big (old) windows. We simply feel at home here. With the cooler fall months ahead I'm looking forward to digging into some yard work and getting out the paint brushes to start adding some new color to our interior walls.
  • My husband is the happiest I have seen him in a long, long time. The shorter commute, occasional picnic lunches with his girls, and increased family time in general are obviously doing good things for his spirits. I look at his smiling, relaxed face and I feel like I am falling in love with him all over again. After 18 years, his smile, his touch, and a glance from those big soft eyes can still make me melt like a Popsicle on the 4th of July.
  • We have lovely new neighbors. The family just to the east of us even donated their swing set, which hadn't gotten much use over the past few years as their kids have have reached middle school age, to our backyard. The girls are super excited to have a slide. I should have known it would only be a matter of time before they figured out they could do this...





I have started working part time at the Snap Fitness here in Carlisle this week. While I have very limited hours and am not much more than an over qualified cleaning lady/receptionist, I've started to connect with other community members and have got to share a little of my professional knowledge. Plus, we get a free membership! This coming week I have several conversations scheduled to try to establish some yoga business space.

School starts in 3 short weeks which excites the girls to no end. And to be totally honest I am looking forward to a few kid free hours several days a week while Brea is at preschool.

I will always miss Grinnell, but slowly I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortably a part of Carlisle. I just need to give it time...and keep perspective.


peace

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jason told me how comfortable your home feels and that it is so much YOU. That's great. . .many happy years there. Love, Aunt Carol
Laurie said…
I sounds like things are slowly falling into place for you and your family. I must say, if I could find a place to move that would reduce my husband's stress level, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace