Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Just Looking at That Makes Me Want To Puke...

Those were the first words out of Lexi's mouth as we started our trek into the Iowa State Fair grounds via the mid-way. (She definitely gets that from her father.) Generally we are not big State Fair goers, but Scott's employer is a big sponsor at the fair each year, which means the need for employees to help staff the "community relations" tent. For two (interesting) hours last night Scott and I applied temp tattoos to young fair goers among the smells of fried foods on a stick and the sounds of mid-way rides, free entertainment stages, beer tent DJs, and dirt track car races across the street at the Grandstand. (Talk about sensory overload!)


While maybe not my first choice of activities, I would be lying if I said it was a completely un-enjoyed experience. It was fun to see just how exciting a friendly smile and a free bear tattoo can be to even a hot, tired toddler. Plus it's nice to get a chance to meet some of the people Scott spend's his days around while he is at work.

I am so, so, SOOOO thankful for my friend Kim and her daughter Emma and their willingness to hang out with our girls and show them the fun side of the fair while we were stuck at the tent. They enjoyed the giant slide, making spin art, going through the kid's experience farm (Brea's favorite), checking out the butterfly tent, and walking through the animal barns (Lexi's favorite). Brea has already asked several times when we will be able to go back again. (Next year will be soon enough for me.)

After our tattoo shift was over, we did manage to collect the girls and walk past the butter and ice sculptures on our way to check out the photography salon before bringing our tired selves home. I am always amazed and inspired by the selected images. I could spend way more time viewing them than I generally have time for with tired kids in tow. I have decided to make it a personal goal to submit my own entry (or entries?) for consideration next year. I'm really interested in continuing to develop my photography skills and what better motivation than by participating a little friendly competition? Game on!


peace

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm with Lexi...keep me far, far away from those midway rides. And fair food, too. Sounds like you had fun, though, and that's what matters. Bear tatoos...how cool!

Christina said...

I don't like the rides but I love the fairs. I think its mostly being out on a summers night, the lights, and the yummy/gross food. There is something called the "Big E" where I just moved to in Western Mass. It is suppose to be huge. I can't wait