Skip to main content

High School Football Fridays...

Last night we went to the opening home football game at the High School. It was nice. We found our neighbors, whose son plays on the Freshman team, in the stands. It was fun to have some familiar faces around us. For once I was the one waving at people and Scott was the one asking "Whose that?" thanks to my part time work in town. It was a weird switch of roles.

The stadium is great and there's plenty of room in the stands so you don't have to snuggle with the guy next to you, unless you want to. Lexi even had a new friend from school come sit with us for a bit. We met a nice guy next to us whose oldest son, a Sophomore, is on the team. Brea's preschool teacher and her family were sitting behind us. Brea crawled up for a visit to let her know just how very excited she is to start school on Monday. Carlisle is starting to feel a little more like home.

The band, well, let's just say there is room for improvement as the season plays out. HOWEVER it warmed my heart to see a sprinkling of cheerleader and football uniforms throughout the band both before the game and at half-time. The ability for our kids to be involved in a number of activities as they grow and explore various interests is exactly why we wanted to be in a school district of this size. Brea loved the band, dancing away anytime they played. She also informed Scott during the second half that she "loves this game." She decided she would like to be a football player. Lexi informed us she would rather be a cheerleader. I tried to keep my thoughts to myself...mostly.

I'm sure we'll be spending many more Friday nights at the football field in the coming weeks and years. I've already decided I need to put a small, portable knitting project on the needles to drag along next time. Luckily I happen to know someone, a new family member of sorts, who could use some new hand-warmers to keep her hands warm in the cool of Oregon winter.


peace

Comments

Jane said…
I have grown to love high school football since my kids have been in band for the past 5 years....I try to bring some sock knitting since it is small. My relatives make fun of me but I don't care. I can talk to all my friends and family and catch the game, too....I can't stand having idle hands.
Laurie said…
I've always loved high school football games. My father and I went to all of them, from the time our small town grew big enough to field a football team to several years after I graduated. And my two stepdaughters were majorettes in the marching band, so we went to all of their games, too. I miss those days...it's kind of weird to go now that the kids of everyone we know are grown and out of school.

And don't worry too much about the cheerleading. I wanted to be a cheerleader too and actually made the 7th grade squad. At the first game I learned I couldn't watch the game when I was cheering - so I quit! LOL!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace