Skip to main content

Personal Ad...

We love our new house. Love it! We love the big dining room and open common rooms. We love the charm and character of the tall ceilings and wide wood work. We feel quite at home here and it's only been 3 weeks. I'm getting a bit antsy to start doing some painting and decorating to really help it feel like our space.

Today the girls and I were back in Grinnell so that I could teach class and so we drove past the old house to see the new roof. My flowers are in full bloom and the house looked nicer than it ever did the 6+ years we lived there thanks to hard work we put into the fresh paint job this spring. It was somewhat interesting to me that I didn't even get the least bit sad looking at ol' 1217 Ann, though I do miss our old neighborhood a bit.

What I most miss about Grinnell are our friends and familiar faces/places around town. The 4th of July ended up being a very emotional weekend for me. Taking much needed breaks from packing to join some of the local festivities left me feeling so very lonely. We were surrounded by people, yet there was not a familiar face in the crowd. By weekend's end I was tired, in tears, still not feeling very settled, and very much questioning why we had to leave the comfort of everything we had come to know as home in Grinnell.

I'm glad to say I'm feeling better about things now.

Sometimes I wish meeting new people in town was a simple as writing a family personal ad and waiting for interested contacts. What might we write about our family? Maybe something like...

New Carlisle family of 4 looking for friendship. Family consists of: one 30 something politically moderate profession husband who enjoys all things related to sports, talk radio, reading Stephen King novels, and who aspires to one day learn to fly fish and play the guitar; one 30 something politically liberal yoga teaching wife who knits, sews, gardens, blogs, takes pictures, bikes, loves dancing and who supports gay marriage, alternative energy, buying local, the right for women to choose, and believes in the power of compassion and love to create peace across differences; 2 busy, growing, inquisitive girlies (ages 8 & 4) who love art, animals, swimming, reading, bike riding, all forms of play and exploration, and time spent with friends and family. Interested contacts should enjoy casual BBQs, open air music concerts, impromptu get togethers for coffee, random family fun, and promoting the growth and health of the local community.

I know, I know...meeting people will simply take some time...I just wish there was an easy way to jump start things a bit.

My new wide angle lens is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to get some pictures taken of the house to share with you all!


peace

Comments

Pink Doberman said…
Love the post! So glad you are getting settled! Sorry I missed you when you were out here! Hope L had fun!

So cute the add for friends, I've lived here 15 years, and I think I should put an add like that in the local paper. =)

Blessings, Can't wait to see pictures of your new digs!!
Tonja
Consider this a response to your ad! But I live out of state. Will that be a problem? It might cut down on the number of BBQ's...

:) Love the post.
Christina said…
I feel the same way. Its been hard meeting people I tear up thinking about my friends in Atl. But I hear it gets easier. .
Laurie said…
I so understand. Unlike my husband (who should be mayor), I don't make friends quickly, and when we talk about relocating to a new area, I feel very uneasy. How will I ever get to know anyone???

OTOH, I love the personal ad and wish I didn't live in Ohio so I could answer it. :-)

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace