Skip to main content

Somebody Pinch Me...

All over the country high school seniors and college grads are celebrating one of the many major mile stones of life. It's hard this time of year not to get a little sentimental about looking back through the years to remember what it felt like to be preparing for the next big step...the last summer living at home; the move to college, the endless possibilities that seem to lie ahead when you first hold your newly awarded college diploma. I think that diploma should come with a disclaimer that warns that while your official book learning may be over (granted there's always time and reason for more book learning IMO), the real lessons of life have just begun to expose themselves. Lessons that are often much harder to understand. Ones with no clear set of "right" answers.

Moving weekend for our family is only 4 short weeks away. I have yet to REALLY start packing. (I tend to work much more focused under a bit of pressure.) This afternoon as I enjoy a beautiful Friday afternoon doing simple domestic tasks around the house, waiting for Lexi to get home from her last full day of 2nd grade, and waiting for Scott to arrive home from work to start the long holiday weekend, I can't help but reflect on the many lessons we have had a chance to learn over the 10 years we have lived in Grinnell. Life lessons and memories that will forever cement this community in our hearts. For me part of that time of learning has involved finding ME. For that reason Grinnell will always feel like home to my soul and is partially why the though of moving away has been such a roller coaster of emotions. At the same time I'm confident I can move away from this place and still be ME. It's just one of the MANY gifts life in this community has offered.

I received a phone call today with some information about the financing of our new home in Carlisle. Good news that I hope I'm not celebrating prematurely as we all know nothing is ever TOTALLY said and done until the dotted lines have been signed and the keys have been handed over. But at the same time this bit of news, that may not seem like much to some, has unleashed a whole slew of emotions in me this afternoon. Feelings of relief mixed with a little joy, some amazement, a shadow of doubt that it's all going to work so smoothly, and a side of disbelief that we could be so lucky. In general it's been hard not to believe that this move has been fated for our family once we just opened our hearts to the possibility. We fell in love with a house...and then it sold...and then it came back on the market after we had FINALLY come to terms with the the fact it was no longer a possibility. The fact we are 4 short weeks away from closing on said house is still more than I can really wrap my head around at this point. We have been blessed with a banker who has gone above and beyond not only to help us secure financing but to help us start to paint a better financial picture for our family over all. Then today's news comes and it's even harder for me to believe the luck of it all. And don't even get me started about how warmly we have been welcomed into the community by the contacts we have made even before we have officially taken up residence. It really has been amazing on so many levels.

I shared a few of the thoughts I have going through my head with Scott via email this afternoon. We agreed that over the past couple of years we have gotten so used to disappointment (and to a certain point fear) that it's hard not to go into this transition wondering when the next wrecking ball is going to come swinging through our lives. Not saying we have lost hope, but we've probably been living life a little more defensively than offensively lately. We've tried to keep in perspective small blessings, staying true to the priorities and values that guide our actions in life, and have had faith that no matter what life throws our way that we ARE strong enough to keep moving forward. (We have also realized what an amazing web of support we have surrounding our family.) We've found peace in living a simple, honest life and somewhere along the way we've learned to accept both the times of ease and the times of challenge simply for what they are free from expectations.

Which is why I think having things falling into place so smoothly in terms of our relocation seems an awful lot like divine intervention. Blessings that we aren't sure we are worthy to receive. Fortune that we will not take for granted.

To be continued...


peace

Comments

Anonymous said…
We all need to believe we're worthy of the blessings that come our way. Can't wait for more news. Aunt Carol
MS said…
Sounds like some really great news, and no one deserves some good news more than you and Scott (and your two sweet girls)! Yeah! Can't wait to hear all about it next week! Hugs...

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace