Skip to main content

Facing Change...

Winter in Iowa has been a bitch. Needless to say as a result Scott's commute has also been a bitch. That combined with the fact he's found a position that he enjoys, that both takes advantage of his past experience and provides opportunity for new growth, in which he feels appreciated, and which has promise to be very long term, we have once again been visiting the idea of relocating closer to his office. A subject we have discussed on and off for the past 3 years through all the ups and downs of job losses, job searching, and new job starts.

This time the scales are starting to tip in a new direction. For once instead of feeling overwhelmed by the possibility of change, of starting over in a new community, of thinking how the move would change my professional endeavors, I'm feeling hopeful for the opportunities that could be presented by exploring a new adventure. We've started looking at potential communities online until the weather the weather clears up so we can go visit in person. We've started to think about what we would need to do to get our house ready to put on the market. We've started to talk about the ways having more time together each day, and less financial resources dedicated to transportation expenses, would positively affect our whole family.

I've started to think about how I CAN relocate and still do what I love. I DO have what it takes to build the business I want to continue to build even if it's in a new community. I simply need to have confidence in myself and what I have to offer professionally in a number of areas.

Dare I say I'm feeling a bit excited by the possibility of change. About the possibilities of what could be waiting for us on the other side of this transition. I think simply changing my attitude to focus on what could be gained with change (instead of what I don't want to let go of) has helped tremendously. I'm hoping I can continue to remain positive in the face of change in the coming months. And so the adventure begins...


peace

Comments

Laura said…
Life is a journey...thinking of you as you consider a turn in the road.
Kate said…
It is so nice to hear that the idea of change is leaving you with feelings of excitement and not fear and dread. Human beings are creatures of habit- and it sounds like you are ready to break free of that. I'm so interested to see where this new venture takes you!
Christina said…
Hi, I found your blog through Kates. I am also about to move to a new city and have also just decided to be positive about it and embrace it instead of being scared and sad. Here's wishing all the best with the move!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace