Sunday, February 28, 2010

500...

This is not the post I envisioned writing to celebrate 500. But to be quite honest, life is a little crazy around here right now. If I waited to write this post until I had everything in proper party form you might not hear from me again until July! So I've decided to celebrate with TWO posts. (My blog, my rules.)

Part 1: Reflections...

It's hard for me to believe that this blog has made it to its 500th post! Reading the words of my first post I am amazed at how similar they are to what I might write today if THIS was my first post. Simply a wondering at how this journaling experiment might look in the days to come. I still wonder that at times...5 years later.

Over the years I've often wondered just what the purpose of this little spot should be. A mommy blog? A crafty blog? A place simply to share a bit of our lives with family and friends near and far? A place to share my personal thoughts, dreams, worries, rants? After all, shouldn't a blog have a specific purpose to justify it's existence? Shouldn't your readers know what to expect when they stop by for a visit?

Recently I got an email from an old friend. A friend who, though we might not keep in close contact now, has been there to help me celebrate some pretty amazing milestones in my life. Her email, with the subject Thanks For Your Blog, in part said this:

"I just wanted to take a moment to send you a note about your blog - a note of thanks. During the last couple of years as I have followed your blog, I have watched you navigate a path that included so many changes and challenges of significant proportion. Ironically, as I continued to keep up with your life, I ended up walking much of the same road.

Last year, [my husband] was laid off and our sense of perfect life collapsed like dominoes. As we all know, sometimes when it rains it pours and as a result we ended up enduring endless months of loss, change, panic, and struggle. While [we] faced the gravity of the situation, one of the things that helped me was your blog. It's the place where I saw survival, resolve, honesty, and hope. For that, I thank you."

Reading her words still brings tears to my eyes. Tears because my heart goes out to her and the hurt I know she is feeling. Tears because her thanks have touched me in more ways than I can even put into words. It was reading her words of thanks that I really realized that this blog doesn't HAVE to be about anything specifically. It CAN be about everything. It doesn't have to bring me fame or even contribute to our family's budget to justify the time I take to put posts together. It doesn't have to adhere to someone else's ideas and guidelines of what a blog SHOULD be. Because in the end this blog is MY spot and it should be about what I need it to be.

Besides free therapy (smile), I simply need it to be a avenue for connection. This blog is a snap shot of our lives. It helps me feel more connected to all of you...and I hope in a small way you feel the same. This spot is for the good, the challenging, the exciting, the milestones, the crazy, the average...it's all here. I am both amazed and thankful for those of you who take the time to read. To share our lives. To listen to me rant and worry and gush about the amazingness in my life.

I am thankful that it has helped me feel more connected to loved ones far away. I am thankful to have a place to share thoughts and feelings I might otherwise not vocalize. I am thankful for the connections I have made with total strangers, who I now call my friends. Friends who they themselves provide inspiration through the sharing of their lives. I am thankful for the memories that have been preserved here for our family. Memories that when pieced together creates the wonderfully rich, crazy, colorful fabric of our lives.

Whether you have read only a handful of posts or all 500...THANK YOU for reading. Thank you for sharing our lives. For leaving your thoughts and comments. A million times over, thank you!

Next up...Part 2: THE CELEBRATION!

Stay tuned!!!


peace

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Congrats Jenn! You're much more consistent than I....you should be proud.

Kate said...

Congratulations! 500 posts is such an achievement! I can't wait to hear about a giveaway!

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I am impressed about 500 posts as well. It is hard for me to be consistent about much other than brushing my teeth! I have learned a lot and been inspired by your words quite a lot in the less than a year's time I have been reading. Thanks and congrats!
Sarah

Jenny said...

Congratulations on the 500! That's a HUGE accomplishment! And I agree with you, it is so much more captivating to read a blog that deals with all kinds of stuff, the writer becomes so much more alive in my eyes then. I love your blog, although I haven't had a chance to read through it all yet. But I will!

Mary LeMaster said...

Congrats!!! I just read other peoples blogs. I am too fearful to even begin to start mine!!! Maybe one day!

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

Congratulations on reaching an amazing milestone.

polinium said...

Congrats on the 500! I would never have the dedication to keep a blog going for that long.