Skip to main content

Making a Difference...

Once again I am amazed at how something as simply, and to some as trivial, as blogging can make a big impact on the world through the communities of individuals that come together through common bonds. I had no idea when I started talking about my knitting on this here blog a year ago that I would connect with so many other knitters out. I'm so thankful that has been the case!

Following the Haitian earthquake, the knitting blogging community got busy doing what they do best...sending up the signal (as Stephanie did on Yarn Harlot to round up Knitters Without Borders) for us to come together as a community to provide those in need with comfort. In this case rather than knitting up prayer shawls or wool socks or snuggle blankets, the call went out to support the organizations who are providing relief services to the affected areas. In my case I'm choosing to mention two very well known and highly respected organizations making a difference in Haiti today:
As many others have pointed out, just as each small stitch is needed to create a whole knitted item , each of us can play an important part in helping with the relief efforts. It took only 5 minutes of my time this morning to make a donation to the organization of my choice. I hope that you take the time to join your stitch with mine by making a donation to the organization of your choice (if you haven't already done so). One stitch at a time we can help to provide some comfort during this great time of need.

My heart goes out to the mothers and fathers, children and siblings, friends and family who today (and for many days to come) are dealing with trauma and loss far greater than many of us will ever experience in our very blessed lives. Many thanks to the men and women who are working to provide medical care to the wounded, grief care to the many who have lost loved ones, and food and shelter to those who have lost their homes. It is often in our times of greatest need that we are reminded of our collective responsibility (as human beings) for the care and well-being of ALL our neighbors...near or far, friend or foe.


peace

Comments

artohline said…
Beautifully stated. It is truly inspiring to see how the knitting community (as well as many other communities) has come together through this.

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace