Skip to main content

Lexi's First Sewing Project...

Shortly after I got my new sewing machine, Lexi started asking if I could teach her how to sew. I agreed that during winter break we would tackle a project. After a bit of discussion we decided to make a bag for the Nintendo DS she received for Christmas.

Yesterday we headed to the quilt shop so that she could pick out her fabrics. She was actually surprised that we were getting new fabric, and honestly we could have easily made this project from my stash, but being her first project I wanted to make it a little extra special. I think she was a little overwhelmed at first by the fabric selection process. We had decided to make a messenger style bag and had talked about how many different fabrics she could potentially use. She finally decided on 3 different blue/purple batiks for the outside panels and a lighter batik with a fun swirly pattern for the inside lining.


After doing a little design planning I set up Lexi at the machine to practice her seams while I cut all the pieces we would need to put her bag together. (I wasn't quite ready to let her try using a rotary cutter!) Having speed control on my new machine was so helpful for this learning experience.


Once she was comfortable with sewing a basic straight seam I put her to work seaming the handles and the front and back panels. She would sew and then I would iron, fit some batting for padding (which I fused into place with this cool no paper fusing web we have at the shop called Mistyfuse) and pin the next piece for Lexi to sew. When we got to the point of top stitching the handle strip I let her pick a decorative stitch and she very patiently stitched the length...twice.



Once we had all the pieces ready for construction I took over the sewing which included my first button hole experience. Thank goodness for that automatic button hole feature! Our finished bag is awfully cute if I do say so myself. We included a padded pocket for the DS console, a "roomie" pocket for the AC adapter, and a pocket on the inside of the flap for game cartridges.


The combination of fabrics and Lexi's choice of thread and embellishment stitches give it so much character.


We ended up needing to extend our original handle length just a bit, which gave us the opportunity to bring just a little bit of the inside fabric to the outside.



Lexi did a great job and it was fun to tackle our first joint project. I imagine it will be the first of many to come...at least I hope so!


peace

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! Lexi you did a great job on your bag.

One cool girl (grandaughter)!

Grandpa Bob.
Anonymous said…
I'm impressed and my palms still sweat at the thot of sewing. You GO GIRL!
Carol said…
Oh that was me, Lexi. Aunt Carol

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace