Skip to main content

Snow Day Project...

My quilt top is done! What a lovely snow day project. I've had this design rolling around in my head for about 3 weeks and "Iowadeathstorm09" (as it has been labeled on Twitter) provided me a reason not to leave the house today (actually it took away the ABILITY to leave the house today), which meant plenty of time to sew. I present to you...

"Lost in the Twilight"


It measures about 55" x 75" unfinished. The blocks are 12 inches finished and were pieced from batiks. The whole cloth section is a Robert Kaufman print from the Fusions Collection.

The title, based on my color scheme more so than the design, might need some explaining. At the risk of having a bunch of eyes rolled at me, here goes.

Often when I fall in love with a book (or series of books) it's as much for the images they help paint in my mind as much as the story. Angsty teenage love-lust and vampire lore aside, I was totally engrossed when I read the Twilight Series books because of the imagery. The rich, dark wooded forest. The shades of amber to dark brown of Edward's eyes against the creamy lightness of his skin. The warm red of "life giving" blood. What better way to bring those images to life than with a quilt under which I can snuggle to read! Can you imagine how much fun it would be to design all my future quilts on imagery created by reading a book? Hmm...

The design was actually inspired by all of the great contemporary quilts I've seen splashing around these days. Between Flickr; my favorite quilt blog, Crazy Mom Quilts; a new book I picked up at the shop a few weeks ago, Cozy Modern Quilts; AND working at the shop surrounded by so many contemporary fabrics, how can I NOT be inspired to sew more?!

Contemporary quilt designs very often lean towards simple. Which in my world translates to doable. Between big blocks and large areas of whole cloth, they allow for a little bit of tradition to mix with more modern design. And it doesn't mean having to cut a gazillion little pieces just so you can turn around and sew them back together again. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE old quilts with lots of little pieces. But at this point in my life, I'm just not patient enough MYSELF to actually put together a quilt like that. Which for years has meant I haven't been quilting at all. Which is just sad and wrong.

Being that the quilt is considered "lap quilt" sized also adds a plus in the doable category. I mean, who doesn't need a few quilts around the house just the right size for snuggling on the couch with a cup of java and a good read...or while knitting.

The only problem...

In the past 6 months I have now finished TWO (the other being this one) quilt TOPS. Both which need quilting before they can be functional. The quilting part...not so much my favorite step in the process. The good news is I have ideas for how I want to quilt both of them...now I just have to DO IT!

We got word that local schools will be closed again tomorrow and I will simply have to wait to see if I can make it out to teach the classes for which I am scheduled. To bad I don't have batting and enough fabric for backing on hand...or who knows what could happen if I'm "stuck" at home for another full day.


~namaste~

Comments

Marie-Jolie said…
OOh, I love it, Jenn! What a great interpretation.

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace