Sunday, November 8, 2009

Unexpectedly Frogged...

I have been super excited to start my first pair of socks with "knitting season" in full swing. So I ordered some a whole set of sock sized double point needles (DPNs) and sock yarn. By Thursday night I couldn't wait any longer to cast on...yes, even with 2 other projects currently on the needles. Variety is the spice of life.

Do you want the good news or bad news first?

The good news...things seemed to be going well after I finally decided on which basic pattern I wanted to use. Size and stretch seemed appropriate and I LOVE the plum tweed Stroll yarn from Knit Picks that I decided to start my sock knitting adventure with.

The bad news...my new 4 inch DPNs and I were not getting along. I've knit most my projects on DPNs thus far, but 6 inch DPNs. What I didn't realize is how the shorter needles would rest IN my palm rather than along side. A fact that soon resulted in little sore hot spots in my palms. Not cool.

So, today I mailed back my set of tiny needles.


And I frogged the short (but good) start to my first sock.


And I have ordered both 6 inch DPNs in size 3 AND a 40 inch circular in size 3 to try a couple different methods to get my growing stash of sock yarns from balls to wearable pairs. Oh how I can't wait for the visit from the UPS man later in the week!


~namaste~

4 comments:

Kate said...

Those 4 in. needles can be a pain! I'm glad you could send them back and get the needles that you wanted. The sock looks great- the gauge looks to be spot on! There's something really special about knitting socks- I can't wait to see how you like the whole process!

Beverly said...

Did you order the Harmonies?

Marie-Jolie said...

Oh shoot! We should have worked out a trade. I love those little shorties. :) Cute toes, by the way. I always have mine painted, too (but mine are a really feisty coral).

Jill Rachel said...

You should try circulars!