Skip to main content

Thinking Small...

As some of you know, we here in our house welcomed the week with a change. What we hope to be a change for the better for our family. And while I fully expected to sit down today and write about the details of that change, for a variety of reasons I am not ready to do so. There have been a few twists and bits of info along along the way, that today I find my gut feeling a bit uneasy. Whether it be simply my own resistance to change, or something more, for now I feel like the best thing to do before sharing details, is wait it out until I can be sure it is indeed good news to share.

The twists and turns of this transaction, combined with other events happening in my life right now, has me pondering...

I've had several "dream" professions over the years. Some that will probably always simply remain a dream. Some which I fully believe are obtainable endeavors. From owning my own coffee shop, to owning my own quilt/yarn store, to being a massage therapist, to freelance work, to being an independent yoga instructor...what hit me today is not how those things are different, but rather how they are connected. I was thinking in the shower this morning (as you know the shower often provides a good place to ponder) what all these "dream" jobs have in common is me owning my own small business.

I have over the years been firm about the fact that I am not a "business person". But what I'm realizing is that my definition of what a "business person" is has expanded over the years. As a result of that expanded definition I can very much see myself in the roll of small business owner these days. Possibly even in the roll of small business activist.

Living in a small, yet vibrant and progressive, town has opened my eyes to many things. Including how rich a community is in which to live when small, locally owned businesses are flourishing. Small businesses make it their business to respond to their customer's needs through the best customer service possible. Their customers are: neighbors, fellow organization members, parents of a child's classmate, teammates on the city rec league softball team...the list could go on and on. When you own a small business in a small town your customers are a face and a name first and foremost. Small businesses depend not only on the product they sell, but also on their connections to the community to keep their doors open. And, if the business is lucky, profits often do not much more than provide a modest living for the business owner's family.

I'm not saying big business doesn't have its place. After all I find peace in driving a safer, more fuel efficient car thanks to the innovations and developments big business dollars has afforded the automobile industry. I'm thankful for the millions of dollars, often provided by big business and foundations funded with big business profits, that have gone into cancer research and medical innovations that helped my brother when faced with dealing with his own cancer diagnosis. And let's not loose sight of the generous big business owners who as philanthropists have touched millions of lives with their community enhancing gifts...libraries, theaters, school endowments...the list is long.

That being said, I'm having a hard time with the big decisions facing our governing body these days not believing that big business (and often its focus on the ever important bottom line above all else) has out grown its proper place in society. I can't help but draw the connection between how the distribution of wealth in big business (a few big wigs at the top benefiting from the hundreds/thousands of workers needed to produce or provide whatever the business is selling) mirrors our society. While democracy in theory is a fabulous thing, the fact of the matter is there are very few in a place of power who are responsible for making decisions, and many, many, many more who will be more personally affected by those decisions.

Hind sight is 20/20, and I wonder if we as a society knew 100 years ago some of the things we know now, how might our lives look different? Maybe they wouldn't. What I do hope is that those of us with dreams of being a small business owner, and those who currently rely in their small business to provide a living, can continue to believe that small businesses in our communities can make a big difference. That owning a small business will continue to be a way to make an honest living while providing products or services about which we are passionate to our communities.

I for one plan to continue dreaming...


peace

Comments

Scott said…
This my dear is why I LOVE YOU!!! All will be well in the end I just know it will be so!
LUVS

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace