Skip to main content

Halloween 2009, Check...


I have a confession...I have a love-hate relationship with Halloween. Love it because it's the one time of year I regularly get to put my crafty skills to work for the enjoyment of my girlies. Hate...because I have to put my crafty skills to work for the enjoyment of my girlies...and there is a deadline involved. (Which, honestly, is a good thing or costumes would never get finished!)

Out of the 13 combined Halloween costumes the girls have worn, I have made 10 of them...by my choice. OK...more like by my insistence.

The exceptions:
  • There was the year that our oldest used a store bought costume gifted to her by her grand-parents.
  • Last year our youngest recycled this costume which I had originally made for our oldest. (It is by far my FAVORITE costume creation thus far.)
  • This year we borrowed the monkey costume as it just seemed like the smart thing to do on so many levels.

Some years I'm so excited to figure out how to put together whatever is requested by our brown-eyed girls. This year was not one of those. No real reason. I just wasn't as excited as say the year Lexi was the Tooth Fairy and Brea a newborn Tooth. Or the year Lexi was a duck...complete with tie-dyed leggings.

Regardless of the requested costume, you will normally find me the night before working into the wee hours putting on the finishing touches. This year was even worse than that as I found myself madly ironing on the last of the tiger stripes just 30 minutes before we wanted to depart for the neighborhood trick-or-treating walk.

Every year I vow to start earlier...to just give in to store bought costumes...to simplify.

And then, just as happened Saturday night, one of my daughters walks up, gives me a big hug and says "Thanks Mommy for making me a great costume!"

As she bounds away with a giant smile on her face, or every time I hear the proud words "My Mom made my costume!", it's right then and there that I know there is no hope...next year on October 30th (hopefully NOT the 31st again) you'll find me sleepily working away on the final details of different costumes.

And I will hate it...and I will LOVE it.

(BTW, more pics of this year's tricksters can be seen here.)


~namaste~



Comments

JenB said…
Every year I read about your costume creations and think "Gee, why don't I sew/create costumes for my girls??" And every September when costumes go on sale, I always take the easy way out and buy them. This year I came closer-I made one of the skirts and assembled the costume parts of my butterflies rather than just buying an entire costume off the rack.

Maybe next year your creativity will rub off on me and I'll be joining you at midnight on October 30th sewing like mad:).
Erica said…
Lovely costumes! And they'll always remember the ones Mom made just for them :)
Marie-Jolie said…
Oh boy, do I hear ya there! I don't sew costumes for my boys anymore (though I did for many years), because these days they want to be cyborgs and aliens and storm troopers. I don't know how to sew such things, or even how to properly put those costumes together! I have to leave it to them and my husband now that they are too old to like being Ewoks, baby dragons, and other cute things. But still, I can completely relate to that love/hate feeling. I remember it well!
~RaenWa~ said…
Great costumes your kids looked great. All the hard work makes it worthwhile when you see the look on their faces.
Meli said…
Your costumes remind me of the elaborate creations my mom used to sew for me when I was a little (and not so little) girl! I found your blog from the "getting to know you" post over at Clever Girl Goes Blog, just in case you were wondering. I'm new to knitting (still working on my first scarf) and I just love it! I hope I can finish it before Christmas, perhaps even start on another. Anyway I just wanted to say hello and I enjoy your writing and knitting, as well as the beautiful leaves you have out there in Iowa. (Ours weren't very spectacular here in the DC area of VA this fall. such a bummer)

-Melinda
Kate said…
I love the costumes that you have made! My favorite Halloweens of the past always involved a costume that was put together creatively. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it, right? I can't get over just how pretty that little fairy is!

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace