Skip to main content

Creating a Space for Creating...

We live in a small 3 bedroom house. Even though we have 2 kids, they thankfully are happy to share a room, leaving our 3rd bedroom to serve as an office-plus. The "plus" part has changed over the years from: "room in which we pile crap we're too lazy to take downstairs", to sewing room, to spare bedroom, to once again...sewing room!

We've been busy around here the past 2 days creating a little change. Thanks to furniture moving help from my hubby and fabric sorting/folding help from my oldest daughter (whose growing interests in all things crafty makes me so proud), the spare bed now occupies the space in our unfinished basement where I had set up a dedicated craft space last fall. In exchange a good portion of my work surfaces and fabric goodness has has moved in to our warm, cozy little office that has a WINDOW TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD. (The biggest draw back to the basement...no real windows. Well that and no real heat and concrete floors...but that's nothing a space heater didn't help.)


Working at the quilt shop and planning out my latest list of "items to knit/make and gift" has totally got my creative mojo flowing again. I decided since our spare bed only sleeps a visitor a few times a year, the "extra" space in the far corner of our office could be much better used as a creation station. I've brought up the old drop leaf table given to me as a friend ("because it would make you a great craft table") so that I have plenty of cutting and work space. Plus my little sewing desk, that I simply adore, has taken it's rightful place right in front of the window.


I've put my favorite 2 Longerberger craft baskets to work storing stash (both of the woolen and woven varieties) under my work table. In addition to an old Yaffa block tower from college that houses quilting fabrics, UFOs, and inspiration magazines. (Not the most ascetically pleasing, but functional and I can hide it behind the closet door if need bed.)



In the process of sorting I uncovered a fair number of UFOs. Some which will remain such forever...


And some, started much more recent, who are simply waiting for finishing touches...




Gotta go...the iron is hot, my fabric is waiting...


~namaste~

Comments

Kate said…
Oh goodness! It looks so nice and cozy in there! Don't you just love a newly organized space? A tidy place always allows me to think a little clearer. Have so much fun in craft room!
Marie-Jolie said…
I knew I liked you! I can't think of anything more fun than making my "what-to-knit-and-sew-gift-list" or digging through my stash and finding UFO's. I'm also a quilter, though I'm currently in a microscopic living space with no room to sew. For now, knitting is consuming my every waking moment. Longaberger baskets... love 'em. :) This time of year is always so fun because the crafty ideas are flowing like crazy! :)
Anonymous said…
Nice to have a glimpse into your world, Jenn.
Love ya,
Aunt Carol

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace