Skip to main content

Spreading the Wealth...

I'm so excited to share with you my most recent news! After 5 years of blogging, countless hours playing around on facebook, and more than a few more trying to weave my way through the world of Photoshop, I'm finally getting the opportunity to put the skills and knowledge I've picked up along the way to use for something besides my own entertainment. Woo Hoo!

A friend of mine (and her mother) own the local independent quilt shop, Grinnell FiberWorks. I was so excited when the shop opened 4 years ago. GFW is a contemporary quilt store that carries a large selection of batiks, along with other contemporary fabrics, a Kona cotton solids, fun patterns, books, and lots of embellishment products including a dedicated beading station. Whenever I need a little eye candy for inspiration (or fabric of course) I stop in to check out what's new and catch up with Melissa. And anytime my Mom, my friend Jen, or my friend Sarah come to town for a visit, a stop by the shop is ALWAYS on our to do list.

Week before last I was having coffee with Melissa to catch up after the birth of her 3rd daughter (bless her...3 kids under the age of 5 and running a small business...impressive) and mentioned that I was thinking of finding an extra part time job. She then mentioned she was looking for some extra part time help at the shop. Convenient! After a bit more discussion not only am I looking forward to picking up some hours at the shop, I've wiggled my way into the position of web/social media girl. Double score for me!!!

I got to work this weekend and would like to announce that the new Grinnell FiberWorks Blog and GFW facebook Fan Page are up and running. You can also find us on Flickr, though I have yet to get some photos posted to the photostream. I plan to be down at the shop this week shooting while the girls are getting ready to head the the AQS Quilt Expo in Des Moines later this month. I'm anticipating lots of yummy photo ops!

This week I will be posting our first Meet The Staff post on the blog as well as doing our first product highlight. And of course, a jump into the blog world wouldn't be complete without a few giveaways and goodies...so make sure you update your RSS readers/feeds and check in with us often!


Next on the agenda...a redesign for the website. I think the challenge will be figuring out how to get the design in my head translated to the screen within the limitations of the web page management system in use. How I do love a good challenge.


~namaste~

Comments

Kate said…
Congratulations! That sounds like an amazing job! I'm super envious! I can't wait to see what you do with the blog! Again, congratulations!
roseanne said…
Congrats! Sounds like the perfect job for you! I'm sure you'll rock it...

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace