Wednesday, October 21, 2009

For the love of fabric...

There are many great advantages to living in a small town. Advantages that keep us here despite the struggles we've had with finding career opportunities for Scott. One of those advantages for me is personally knowing the owners of the local quilt shop, Grinnell FiberWorks.

Imagine my excitement when I found out that the shop was looking for some very part-time help...just after I had decided that I needed to pursue an additional, yet flexible, part-time job to help fill in some of the financial gaps in our budget. And imagine how much my excitement doubled after I offered to help maintain/grow some of the shop's online presence and had that offer accepted with open arms! (I knew all these years of casually playing around here on-line would eventually come in handy for something besides my own personal entertainment!)

While my hours at the shop are few at the moment, when I am there it means I get to be surrounded by this...


And this...


And pretty pieced things like this...


And because I'm helping maintain the website, the Facebook Fan page, and write for the shop's new blog, I get to lug my camera into the shop on a regular basis to photograph it all!

How lucky am I?


peace

3 comments:

abroadmoore said...

Perfect! I'm so happy for you and Melissa. -Amy

SuzyQSparkles said...

It looks like you will be blessed with many opportunities to exercise self-restraint, since you are working to fill in the gaps in your budget and not you stash!

I just found you through your comment on Permission to Unwind, I love what you said about Yoga/Knitting being enlightening or just being practice.

I just poked around on your blog a bit and find we have many common interests... as a result, you will find me lurking about in the near future. :D

Brenda P. said...

Oh the fabric store job...I had one for about 3 years in Austin, Tx. Loved it, learn a ton about fibers and ended up with an enormous stash. Still, is it really work if you'd be doing it anyway (sorta).

Way to go!