Friday, October 9, 2009

Fabulously Fun Friday...

It's Friday...already...again!

(Not that I'm complaining, just wondering where the time does go?!?!)

Today's Fab Fun Friday is dedicated to knitting. Specifically knitting beyond woolen mittens, hats, gloves, scarves, sweaters and the such.

Dedicated to things like speed knitting! The next new Olympic sport maybe? Laugh all you want Doubty Mustafas, but do you hold a Guinness World Record? Miriam Tegels does for being the world's fastest knitter.



Can you imagine? I mean seriously, how amazing is that? Give it up knitters, you know there's a little voice in your head somewhere wondering, "How fast I could be if I trained?" At which point I practically laugh out loud at my inner thoughts and go YEAH RIGHT! For starters I'm a thrower, not a picker. (Not to be confused with picking and flicking...which is TOTALLY unrelated!) I'm pretty sure that fact would affect my maximum SPM potential.

Speed knitting not your thing?

How about poetry?

Grab some yarn. A lot of it! It's gonna take a bit more than a few skeins to come anywhere close to out doing giant hand-knit poem unveiled by The Poetry Society in London this week. (I think they should use that thing to have the world's biggest slumber party utilizing only one shared blanket.)

Looking for a smaller project that offers a little fun that could make a huge difference in some one's life? (Maybe even someone you know.) How about knitted boobs? Created by a breast cancer survivor looking to share with other women some of the love and support she found as she traveled her cancer journey, Tit Bits offers a knitted alternative to more "traditional" prosthetic breast options. (The instructions for making Tit Bits can also be found at Knitty.) I love it when someone makes it their mission to bring a little fun into life when faced with a very serious and scary journey. After all, sometimes laughter really is some of the best medicine around.

Happy Friday all!


~namaste~

1 comment:

Jen said...

Love it all :)