Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Compliments...

I'm wondering today why it's so hard for so many of us, myself included, to simply, graciously accept a compliment when offered? I'm sure there are many theories....we tend to be overly critical of ourselves, we're taught not to be overly proud as not to seem self-centered, yadda, yadda, yadda. Whatever the reason, it's too bad that as a general rule for some of us it's easy to receive words of criticism than of compliment.

Today I got an email with a short, but heart-felt, compliment that brought tears to my eyes. One of those compliments that while being a lift at a time when I really need some words of support, I at the same time wonder what I have "really" done to deserve such lovely words. Surely the complimenter was sugar coating things a bit...right? At least that's what I hear that little voice in the back of my head whispering. I want to tell that little voice to shut the hell up and just be thankful for the kind words.

If nothing else, the past couple years have been "character building." (At least that's what I try telling myself in an attempt to find a little silver lining.) I don't always feel like I have handled it all very well. But then again, I get to spend 24/7 with my thoughts, so my vantage point may be a bit skewed. I'm so thankful that through it all I have been fortunate to have an amazing support network who have helped me to see in myself what others see. After all, aren't compliments reflections of how we present ourself to the world around us? Sometimes getting to see ourselves as other see us is just what's needed to keep on keeping on.

Thank you to all of you out there who have played a part in keeping me going through it all. Thanks for your kind words of support and encouragement. For listening to my rants and manic moments of panic. For the hand me down clothes for the girls and grocery gift cards and the random thoughtful somethings offered "just because." And for the compliments that have given me hope and confidence to maybe, just maybe, I'm doing ok at this little thing called life.

A big round of hugs for everyone!


peace

No comments: