Skip to main content

171 Yards of Handspun Merlot

Last spring while visiting my Mom in western Nebraska, we checked out a new fiber farm nearby, Red Barn Fiber Processing. It's a venture opened by a "retired" couple on a few acres of Nebraska farm ground. They raise llamas (and had plans to add yak and alpaca to the farm once the newly planted pastures could sustain a larger herd); offer all the various steps involved in fiber processing; and have a small store in the old farm house where they sell roving and hanks of small batch machine and handspun yarns. Susan, the owner, was working on carding a small batch of wool/silk blend fiber when we stopped. She was so kind to (in a very grandmotherly way) entertain my girls, showing them what she was doing with her bag of newly cleaned wool and the little drum carder, while Mom and I drooled browsed through the shop. Because she rocks, my Mom treated me to a couple hanks of yumminess before we left. Including one that recently become this lovely hand rolled ball...


It's 171 yards (2.4 oz) of handspun Merino wool. The tag calls it "red heather" but all I can think about when I look at it is a big glass of red wine. It's wonderfully soft and I'm itching to give it purpose. I'm leaning towards using it to make a lacy scarf. I really like the Juliet Scarf pattern (Ravelry link) that is featured in Knitting Little Luxuries: Beautiful Accessories to Knit, a book that may find it's way into my library this winter. (I have quite the list of books started to add to the library. YIKES!) Several of the comments on Ravelry point to this pattern as being a good choice for venturing into the lace world...which I find a bit scary, you know with all that stitch counting and all.

I'm curious dear knitters, if you had this yarn sitting in your stash, what would it inspire you to knit?


~namaste~

Comments

Marie-Jolie said…
I'm currently living in Western Nebraska, and did you know that the Brown Sheep Mill is located in Mitchell, NE (just outside of Scottsbluff)? If you happen to be anywhere near there next time you visit your mom, you might want to stop in for a visit. They sell everything in the shop by the pound, and that results in MAJOR savings. I think I figured out that I spent 1/3 of the price of retail when all was said and done. :) It's always lovely to add to the ever-growing stash at bargain prices. ;)
Kate said…
Cables are on my mind- so I vote for a cabled hat- or maybe a pair of mittens. The yarn is beautiful, and I'm sure that whatever you make will be beautiful too!
Anniki :) said…
Fiber farm sounds like a heaven to me! We have nothing like this here in Estonia and I often dream about personal sheep for getting the yarn :) Too bad I can't have them in apartment.

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace