Skip to main content

No, That was NOT Me...

I have now had the "pleasure" of experiencing identity theft. On the whole scale of things it's been on a relatively small level. But it's still a pain in the butt. Thankfully the charges made to an account of mine have been refunded, the card number used has been deactivated. The only lingering effect seems to be the countless spam messaged in my in-box each day and as of today a false "we're following up on your request" phone call today. I do not need to meet hot Christian or Latin singles in my area. I'm sure meeting big beautiful women is nice, but not really my thing. I SOOOOO don't believe in get rich quick schemes. And while yes I do want to go back to school, it won't be on-line for any of your questionable "certifications." And that offer for a credit card...um, have you seen my credit report? Thanks for asking.

Given the amount of "things" I do online, I'm sure it was just a matter of time. I mean if you are online at all, I'm sure there's close to a 100% chance that at sometime someone is going to pretend to be you for one reason or another. I'm usually very careful about what sites I visit. But while I was out searching for LEGITIMATE grant and scholarship opportunities to help me enroll in massage school, I was directed to a number of NON-LEGIT sites through Google searches. Most the time you don't know it's not legit until you visit the site, which is apparently enough for them to grab your info and run.

As inconvenient as my experience has been, it's just been that, an inconvenience. I know there are people's live who are completely turned upside down by identity theft. And for what reason? Simply because one exists.

What really pisses me off is that while I'm trying to make an honest living here in my little corner of the world (as so many others who simply exists do), someone some where is getting a paycheck for developing malicious software to steal people's personal info. Others are getting paid to use that info to randomly sign people up for as much crap as they can until the breech is discovered. What the hell?

And then we wonder why so many have lost hope for the future of humanity. Hmmm...


peace.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Jenn! I share your pain! I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago! Luckily our credit card company suspected fraud and shut down our card! Now I, too, am dealing with phone calls following up on my "recent order" as well as the numerous items I've received in the mail!
Kyle

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace