Skip to main content

Unconditional Love...

Fourteen years ago tonight I was dancing it up with my new husband, friends and family in celebration of our newly recited vows. It was a great party.

I had just turned 20 not even 3 months before. Scott and I had been together 3 years and he truly was the only boyfriend I had ever had. We were young and starry eyed and hopelessly in love.

What I didn't know on that day 14 years ago was just how true those words spoken would be. For better, for worse. For richer, for poorer. In sickness and in health. (We were young and lazy and opted just to use the old traditional vows, something I would change now that I'm older and wiser...though given my tendency to get weepy at the simplest of sappy moments these days, I'm not sure I could ever make it through more heartfelt words.) On that day 14 years ago I didn't have a clue about how much the ups and downs of life can both test and strengthen a relationship. I didn't understand how many growing pains we would have to experiencing together, mainly because we were so darn young when we took our vows. And I didn't fully understand OR fully appreciate Scott's true and unconditional love.

We, as any relationship, have had our fair share of challenges. On my side of things specifically (since I can only speak for myself) I have at times questioned if we had the strength to make it through a few of those challenges. If, as we have both blossomed into our true selves, our commonalities would continue to bridge the gaps between our many differences.

Thought all those times of questioning, all our times of stress, all the times that I freak out and wonder what the hell I'm doing with my life or where I'm headed, if we've made the right choices in life, if we can avoid becoming just another divorce stat, and if indeed everything will be alright, one thing has remained constant. Scott's love.

It has really only been over the past year that I've started to understand just how unconditional his love is. And it's only been recently that I started to realize that I haven't allowed myself to fully accept and trust that love as some freaky self-defense mechanism. (I'm sure there's some therapist out there who would LOVE to sit me down and get down dig into that can of worms.)

How lucky am I?

Lucky.

That's how I feel today on this day that I can celebrate with my best friend our love, our friendship, and our family.

I love you Scott.

Thank you for the past 14 years.

Thank you for your love.

Thank you for your friendship.

My life is a better, happier place because of you...and your amazing unconditional love.

A lucky lady I am.


peace

Comments

Sarah Kroenke said…
I am truly teary eyed after reading this. I have always thought you two were a good match. You had so much fun together in Circle K, always laughing and playing. I will never forget the camp-out when a squirrel got caught in the car and ate the upholstry. You guys took it in stride. Keep writing, Jenn. You make a difference!

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace