Skip to main content

The Bengston B&B...

The girls and I took off last Thursday for north central Nebraska to visit our friends the Bengstons. It's always such a treat to hang out at their beautiful house and enjoy some much needed time catching up. It's quite fun that the Bengston girls and the Mavin girls are so close in age. The big sisters play so well together we hardly know they are around. The little sisters are getting to the age when the 6 month difference in their age is become less of a gap and I'm confident that before long they too will be inseparable.

Friday's weather was PERFECT and we spent most of the time in the yard and on the deck enjoying the warm sunny day.




Little E enjoyed some of her swimsuit time hanging out in the kitchen "pool" while the mommies chatted and readied for a social event later in the evening. I couldn't resist snapping a few pics of her contently sucking on a slice of lime in her private spa. She is such a cutie.


On Saturday the Mommies snuck away for afternoon to visit a couple quilt stores in Grand Island and a stop at the Miletta Vista Winery for a tasting on their beautiful deck. A night of sewing finished up our visit and too quickly our time to head home arrived on Sunday morning.

Our trip home was quick and uneventful. The drive is easy, simply long. It doesn't help that I have developed quite the case of travel anxiety over the past few years. I spend a lot of energy worrying that every other driver on the road could at any moment be the cause of a traumatic crash. I don't have a lot of big fears in life, but being involved, or having loved ones involved, in a serious car accident is one that has seemed to have grown since I became a Mom. Thankfully I'm a bit more at ease when I'm behind the wheel, which is what makes taking these trips possible.

I realized this trip that should we stop every time I see an old sign/barn/building/rusty tractor/broken down fence row/tree grove/church that makes me go "that would be fun to photograph", we would NEVER get anywhere! I need to either make a plan to make a trip specifically for photographing all the small treasures along the way OR just plan on adding time to our normal trips to allow for at least the occasional stop. I did manage to snap this shot through my window as we were driving through Columbus. How could I not...Latte Lizard...too funny!


I'm also quite lucky that the girls are excellent travelers. We load the car with plenty of things to keep them occupied...movies, books, art supplies, snacks, etc. We enjoy times of conversation and finding places to stop for treats. I do hope that in the years to come they will look back on the trips that we have made together fondly. I know I always will.



Many, many thanks to the Bengston clan for being such amazing hosts. For good food and good wine and lots of laughs and time spent together. Life doesn't get much better than that!


peace

Comments

Sara said…
The Latte Lizard is the BEST! It is my favorite drive-up coffee shop in Columbus - when I'm too lazy to get out and walk into Starbucks in HyVee. Remind me to tell you the story about the women who own this two-stand chain!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace