Skip to main content

The Human Connection...

I often think about why I continue to blog. Why I spend time maintaining this little spot. Why I continue to take time to read the words of other bloggers out there...some close family and friends, some distant strangers. Of why social networking sites are the biggest business on the internet these days. Some may see that time spent as a waste. Time that could be spend reading my girls a book. Making improvements to our house. Working on my latest crafty project.

But just like so many life activities, I see my choice to blog as just that...a choice. And while my initial interest came from wanting to have a place to play around online and learn a little more about how it all works, both for personal information and because at the time it was useful for my job, I choose to continue updating because of a very unexpected thing that I've found blogging (and in general the boom of social networking applications available these days) creates...a human connection. A reminder, sometimes gentle and cheery, sometimes sad and real, that the world is a very small place full of people just like me. Just like you. People with thoughts, dreams, passions, families, problems. It has helped me be more compassionate to the whole of human kind. It has given me faith in the goodness of people when our media is so focused on the issues that create division and destruction. In a world where friends and families are spread around the globe, blogging has allowed me to share the little everyday joys and struggles of our family. It connects people with common interests where they can exchange ideas, collaboratively problems solve, and share their latest accomplishments. No matter how successful, how technologically advanced, how affluent a society becomes, we all still have the need to make basic human connections.

The weird thing about the internet is it breaks down some of the common social filters many of us choose to employ during our face to face interactions with people. I often feel safer sharing my honest thoughts and feelings through the written word than in conversation. For good or bad. In many ways blogging has deepened relationships I have with people whom I regularly interact with in a face to face manner. It's sparked conversations that may otherwise not have been had. It's allowed me to learn a little more about friends with whom I just don't get enough "coffee time" because of our busy schedules or the miles between us. It has connected me to people around the world whom I might never have otherwise crossed paths.

And on mornings like today catching up on what my blog roll has to say, it brings tears to my eyes reading the very real account of a very real struggle in a blogger's (and Dad) local neighborhood, and the thoughts of his young daughter, a little girl close to Lexi's age. (I suggest reading the entry with a tissue close at hand.)

It's a reminder just how precious life is in each and every moment. Just how connected our hearts are regardless of where we live. Of the importance of making connections with those around us whether it be in our family, in our neighborhood, or in the greater connection of humanity. A reminder not to wait until a more convenient time arises, as that time may be too late. It reminds me of how lucky and how thankful I am that our family sits here this lazy Sunday morning safe and healthy. And how that can all change in the briefest of moments.

I'm a worrier. Mostly in regards to the safety of those closest to me. I read this story and my heart broke thinking about the little boy left to grow up with only memories of his Dad. And I immediately wanted to pull my own girlies close "just in case." But most of all it reminds me to cherish and celebrate and notice each and every moment of our lives. Good. Bad. Exciting. Boring. Hard. Easy. The fact we get to experience each of those moments together is such a blessing. And no amount of worrying can protect us from our futures. As hard as it is in practice, I again make the intention to move forward living with less worry. To enjoy life fully for what it has to offer, not for what may be lurking in the shadows.

I wish you a day full of present moments, free from worry, and full of life.


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace