Skip to main content

3! How can that be?


In so many ways it does not seem possible for us to have celebrated Brea's 3rd birthday last month. Yet I watch her entertain herself during the day as she colors, "reads", and imagines her own little worlds, and I often have to remind myself that she is ONLY 3!


She has an incredibly fun imagination, cheery personality, and thanks to her older sister's teaching skills, she regularly amazes us with how much she has learned about numbers (a direct result of her new favorite card game, Go Fish), letters, and even math. (Lexi's favorite subject. She's always been a numbers girl, even when she was little before she started preschool, numbers have always been her thing. Brea has definitely benefited and has already helped solve a fair amount of math equations with sidewalk chalk in the driveway.)


I was in Wisconsin at the Yoga Journal Conference on Brea's birthday, but Grandpa Bob, Daddy, Auntie Pammy, Uncle Chris, and big sister Lexi did a great job making Brea's day special. Brea informed me that Grandpa took her to the coffee shop in the morning (her favorite hang out), to visit Great Grandma and Grandpa Higg in the afternoon (where she received a Dr. Seuss book and a snuggle puppy she has named Casey), and then a whole crowd gathered at our traditional birthday dinner hangout for Mexican food and birthday celebrations involving a sombrero. Doesn't get much more fun that that!


Scott played photographer for the event in my absence. I was thankful as it was fun to see some pictures of the party later that night while I was chillin' in Wisconsin.


I watch my girls grow and am repeatedly amazed at the little people they have become. I feel as if their little kiddo years are passing right by without near enough time to tuck safely away all the memories I hope to carry with me from this point on. I try as best I can just to enjoy today, everyday, as our time together is such a precious, precious gift.

Thanks Brea for sharing our lives for the past 3 years. You have brought so much joy and happiness into our home with your sunshiny personality, your silliness, your imaginative mind, and your love of snuggle time.

Happy, happy 3 to you!


peace

Comments

MS said…
I love the purple striped suit and knit cap picture!! Carrie Bradshaw, look out!
Anonymous said…
Oh my! I can't believe Brea is 3 already!! Seems like yesterday that Scott called with the news!!
Kyle
Nieka Apell said…
OK, this is totally random, but I can't find your email address...have you seen this:
http://www.philridesacrossamerica.com/register_desmoines.html

Wish he were coming to Michigan!
Nieka

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace