Skip to main content

Turning 34...

Yesterday I turned 34. It was a pretty uneventful day. Well, actually it was a crazy busy day, but not necessarily because of it being my birthday. First on the list of "to dos"...haircut!


I've been contemplating returning to the short, pixie style cut for some time now and I decided just to go for it as it's only hair and it WILL grow back. Lexi was nice enough to snap this picture of me while we were out at our traditional birthday dinner spot, a local family owned Mexican restaurant. I'm still adjusting. The problem is I simply don't like dealing with my hair AT ALL. The easiest low maintenance styles are long and ponytailable or super short. The jury is still out on which I like best. I had forgotten how much LESS shampoo short hair requires. I could have washed my hair 3 times with the suds I worked up in the shower last night after class before dinner.

And speaking of my dinner dates, here they are...


What funny girls they are. We had a lovely time and shared a fried ice cream as a special treat. No, I didn't disclose it was my birthday as to avoid the public attention. Yes, I just paid for the fried ice cream instead. Scott unfortunately had to work late at a job fair and missed joining us. He and I are planning a night out together this weekend sans kids which will be a nice treat.

Today also marks the first post written on my new birthday present...a Dell Mini 9. I've been eying laptops for some time. My requirements for purchase were afford-ability and portability. The Mini 9 fit both of those and so after consulting with Scott, I ordered 2 weeks ago hoping FedEx would be delivering my new toy by my birthday. It came on Tuesday. (When they decided to call it a Mini, they were not kidding. Imagine taking a piece of standard letter sized paper, and then folding it in half. That's about the size of my shiny little computing critter. I'm still trying to figure out a name...so far I just call it Mini.) I'm still adjusting to the small super sensitive keyboard and the alternative operating system, Ubuntu (a Linix based OS). Today's accomplishment was downloading the above pics and cropping for today's post. I'm somewhat of a creature of habit so learning new software is always interesting. So far I love what I've used though (thanks Duane for pushing me this direction and am on my way to becoming a convert to the free source way of thinking) and hope that my mini and I have many happy years ahead of us. It has sure made checking email and facebook and playing Pandora on the main house stereo awfully nice over the past 3 days!

Mother nature has decided to bless us with a taste of spring and yesterday I broke out the flip-flops. Today is still nice and so the girls and I are going to head out to visit some friends who live just around the block and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air while we can...it's suppose to rain all weekend. Welcome Iowa springtime!

Thanks to all who helped my birthday yesterday a joy. Your emails, messages, phone calls, cards, hugs, and well wishes just added to the sunshine!


peace

Comments

Sara said…
I love this picture of you! and I've always loved your hair short! You just glow in this picture! Love ya, friend!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace