Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mama's Got a New Bag...

I find myself needing to carry along a variety of items throughout my day depending on where I'm headed. My trusty purse has served me well for over a year now but I often needed a second bag if what I was lugging along was at all bulky...water bottles, Brea's snack, props/supplies for class. So I decided it was time for a new bag, something that could serve as an everyday purse but have room to throw in a few extras too.

(I just thought of something...I never carried a diaper bag when the girls where small because I didn't want a big bulky bag. Now I don't have diaper wearers in the house and am up-sizing my purse. Go figure!)

So I present to you my new bag...also known as yesterday's sewing project.


The pattern is Amy Butler's Birdie Sling. The fabric is cotton batik, some which I had purchased over 4 years ago during a ladies weekend trip to the Quilted Moose in Gretna, NE. (I actually bought the fabric for a different bag which I never ended up making. Glad my stash pulled through for me!)

The selling points for me for this pattern were the large interior space, with 4 organizing pockets, and the stiff, slightly smaller opening which keeps things from falling out all over the place when I set it down. Plus I don't like my bags/purses to hang too low. I like to keep them snug by my side and out of the way.


I lined it with a brighter yellow batik which I thought would help make it easy to see inside to find things. Plus it's so cheery. I also used a variegated contrasting thread in orange/red/yellow instead of just plain old matching blue. I love that little detail even if it does make it more obvious that my stitches aren't perfect.

I took my bag out for it's first day today and it performed very nice. It's all ready to help support my upcoming travels: Nebraska for spring break and Wisconsin for the Yoga Journal Conference. More on both of those topics later!

Next: A matching padded sleeve for my mini-puter!


peace

2 comments:

Laura said...

Beautiful! The light interior will be very nice!

Jen said...

Ooh, that pattern would make a good knitting bag. I'll have to look for it!