Sunday, February 15, 2009

Stepping Up a Level...

Having successfully completed the girls hand-warmers, I felt it was time to take the next step in glove knitting and learn how to add a thumb gusset. So I grabbed this lovely dark chocolate yarn that came in my first Yarnica box (one of those unassigned skeins I ordered just because the color was so yummy), read through a few patterns to get an idea of what to do, and started knitting. I'm so happy with the finished result.



I purposefully made this one shorter cuffed because I've found my first pair doesn't play nice with sweatshirts. I'm also SOOOO excited about the close fit of this hand-warmer, much more like a glove, which feels wonderful. I really like the simplicity of this design and I think it will lend itself easily to the addition of details such as cables or color work. I've decided since I have yet to follow a pattern created by someone else, maybe I should write down my own so I can work from something more than my memory! (Though when I am ready to take a crack at following a pattern, Dashing will be it. I am so in love with these hand-warmers!) I have just a few tweaks to make to this pattern for the next pair and I think it will be the perfect base pattern for me to work from.

With completion of this little guy I'm ready to start working on the pairs of hand-warmers that have been requested from my dear and lovely non-knitting friends. Unfortunately I can't knit this little guy's partner until I order more yarn. Important yarn ordering lesson: even if you don't have a plan, always order at least 2 skeins of any color...especially when it's eventual use will probably be for hands or heads! Fortunately I do have 2 skeins of moss green waiting for some attention.


peace

No comments: