Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Holiday Greetings, Day 3...

...3 french hens.

So, ummmm, yeah...I've got nothing when attempting to reference small European game birds. So maybe the 12 Days of Christmas song-tie-in will end here. Besides, as my Mom and I talked about on the phone the other day, can I really remember the gifts of choice for each day without referencing the internet for answers? Probably not. I can never remember how many maids are milking or dancers are dancing or drummers are drumming. Combine those busy peoples with all the fowl involved and it sounds like one noisy party. I'm not sure the "true love" really thought things through before bestowing gifts.

Speaking of the 12 Days of Christmas, my Aunt Carol sent along this little tid-bit which explains what the ACTUAL 12 days are in reference to:

The Twelve Days of Christmas is probably the most misunderstood part of the church year among Christians who are not part of liturgical church traditions. Contrary to much popular belief, these are not the twelve days before Christmas, but in most of the Western Church are the twelve days from Christmas until the beginning of Epiphany (January 6th; the 12 days count from December 25th until January 5th). In some traditions, the first day of Christmas begins on the evening of December 25th with the following day considered the First Day of Christmas (December 26th). In these traditions, the twelve days begin December 26 and include Epiphany on January 6.


And now we all know. (Going back to the fact that sometimes I'm kinda a nerd...I love finding out little pieces of information like this. Thanks Carol!)

Back to the task at hand...recapping March 2008!

March is a busy month in our family as we get to celebrate 2 birthdays...mine at the beginning of the month and Brea's at the end of the month.





This year the girls and I took advantage of Lexi's week long spring break from school to make our annual trip to visit family in Western Nebraska. This was the girls and I's first trek westward since August 2006 when Brea was only 5-months-old and we spent more time that I'd like to remember driving with her screaming in her car seat because damn it, 650 miles is a long ways for a little butt to sit in one day. I'm glad to say that we now regularly split our drive into 2 days each direction and the distraction of the portable DVD player helps the little butts stay mostly quiet while we're on the road. We're planning a repeat trip for spring break '09 and are hoping that daddy will be able to join us this year!

I love March because it signals the coming of spring...one of my favorite times of the year (I war with which is my top favorite, spring or fall) what with it's warmer weather, new green growth and delicate cheery blooms, and the smell of the newly turned earth as farmers move back into the fields to prepare for planting. As I sit here writing today it is snowing out. Soft, quiet, gentle flakes. Yesterday a cold spell brought temps and wind chills in the single digits and below which kept us all inside as much as possible. Writing about March today makes me happy...knowing that warmer times are only 2 1/2 months away!

peace

No comments: