Skip to main content

My Afternoon Hangout...

The suburbs depress me. I won't bore you with the reasons at this time. Let's just say, every time we come to visit the in-laws and are fully ensconced in suburbia, I'm reminded of the reasons we decided to relocated back to a more rural local almost 10 years ago now.

I mean yes, there is a Super Target not more than 5 blocks away (drool)...and as I discovered on my drive home this afternoon, not one but TWO sushi places within a 5 minute drive from the house (Boy how I wish I had a handful of ladies here with me for laughs over sushi and wine tonight!)...even so, I'm just not cut out to be a suburban soccer mom. I'm perfectly content to be a small town gal. It's what feeds my heart and soul.

After my disappointment of the morning, I was determined to find a little time to sneak out of the house for some ME time this afternoon...but I also wanted to do so in a way that allowed me to avoid the craziness of Black Friday. (I strongly dislike Black Friday craziness and usually totally avoid anything resembling a store the day after Thanksgiving.) I figured a coffee house, a little out of the way of the main shopping traffic, would be a safe option on this cool, overcast day.

After lunch, while the kiddos (and adults...mainly my hubby) were down for naps/quiet time, seemed like the perfect opportunity. After a quick consultation with Google maps, I picked my destination. I passed up 1/2 a dozen Starbucks within spittin' distance from the in-laws to check this place out. It was so worth the 10 minute drive.






I love locally owned coffee shops...and how perfect that it's also a bar. (I'm tempted to go back tonight for a pint to check out it's other persona besides the one I enjoyed for over 2 hours this afternoon with my trusty book to keep me company.) I felt right at home as soon as I stepped inside. The comfortable seating, the box of toys and shelf of random games, the funky music jammin' through the speakers. Just what my spirit needed today, and a comfy little sanctuary I'll look forward to visiting when we are next in town.


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace