Skip to main content

Browsing the Quilts...

We are so lucky to have a great quilt store here in town, Grinnell Fiberworks. Normally my taste in quilts is pretty traditional. Old fashioned patterns. Simple color schemes. I'm especially drawn to 30s reproduction fabrics and scrap quilts.

Grinnell Fiberworks is not one of those stores. Not traditional. Which is maybe why I love it so much. It makes me step out of my normal comfort zone and think about ALL the possibilities when it comes to fabric and quilting. Their selection of batiks...amazing. Plus they offer imported Asian and African (to name just two) that are simply gorgeous. Walking through gives me inspiration to keep dreaming that one day I will have more time to quilt!

Currently on display down at the shop is a gallery show celebrating Iowa art quilters. (Not that there's not always beautiful quilts on display there!) Last Friday the girls and I were chillin' out and so we decided to stop by the quilt store for a browse. (It helps that the shop has a play corner which can keep them occupied for 20 minutes or better depending on the day!)

I had a hard time choosing just a few of the beauties to snap pictures of to share here. (I hope the artists don't mind that I'm sharing their work.) I should have written down quilt and artist's names, but I didn't. (Sorry artists!)

First, one was of my favorites. This picture doesn't do the strength of the colors justice. A little inspiration by Van Gogh's Starry Night. A painting to which I've always been drawn. I think additionally it's the little buildings that speak to me. I've always loved the school house and saltbox style blocks.


One of the things I really enjoy about art quilts is their use of texture. This fall tree is fabulously colored, though I do feel the use of bright colors in the "background" somewhat took away from the POP of color that the tree offered.


Regardless, I loved how the tree had a very "leafy" feel offered by the raw edge applique that was used in it's construction.


This beautiful picture quilt is the first thing that catches your eye as you walk into the back room to check out the exhibit. I am amazed by the ability of those very talented artists who are able to take a photo (this was patterned off a real life photo) and reproduce the image in fabric. I love the pop of the green hedge balls, the details in the rake and shadows...


and of course the artist didn't miss the chance to let her quilting offer up some texture. A great attention to detail that really made the piece special for me.



If you're ever in the Grinnell area, and appreciate a good quilt store, I highly suggest you make time for a stop. I promise you won't be disappointed!


peace

Comments

JenB said…
Someday I will visit this shop with you! Sounds like an inspirational place. A day of shopping and a stop at the coffee house, what a treat.:) Jen

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace