Wednesday, November 5, 2008

1 Billion Plus...

That's how many Americans stepped out of their own little worlds yesterday to cast their vote. Over a billion people all coming together on one day to let their voices be heard. Regardless of how you feel about the outcome of the election, that small fact is one to be proud of as a nation. I think regardless of if your "blue" or "red", we can all agree this was a historic election year in many, many ways.

I'm hopefully for our nation. I'm hopefully for the future of politics and have no doubt this campaign/election will forever change how politicians interact with the people who have the power to send them to office. That this campaign/election will forever change how we the people look at our ability to affect the decisions pondered by our government officials. I'm hopefully that my kids will grow up in a more accepting, more inclusive, more passionate, and more compassionate nation. For the first time, in quite some time, I'm hopeful and proud to be an American.

On a sad note, I was disheartened to see the passing of Proposition 8 in California, banning gay marriages in that state. My heart goes out to those couples whose love and commitment is no longer recognized today in the eyes of the law. Don't give up hope!

And to John McCain, thank you for such a classy ending to a not so classy process. I honor the service you have given our country over the years and appreciate the heartfelt, honest words of concession and encouragement you spoke last night. I hope today you got the chance to sleep in soundly next to your lovely wife and were able to peacefully enjoy a cup of coffee, a hearty breakfast, and the morning crossword puzzle in the comfort of your robe and bedroom slippers.

And now...back to life WITHOUT political focus. Next up on the posting list...door art, by Lexi and Brea! Catch you tomorrow.


peace

No comments: