Skip to main content

Quirky Confessions, II...

I prefer ODD to EVEN numbers. OK, I'll admit, sometimes it's a little more than just a preference. I can't explain it, but for as long as I can remember I've been attracted to odd numbers. It's not like I FREAK out if confronted by an even number, but in situations where I can control the number of things, you can almost bet they will be odd. Here's some examples of how weirdly aware of the number of things I sometimes am in my life.
  • My favorite number is 3, followed closely by 9 (3, 3s) and then 7.
  • I like the number 13 even though most people believe it to be unlucky.
  • The humans in our house all celebrate our birthdays on an odd numbered day. Lexi and I's birth dates also happened in odd numbered months during odd numbered years. Scott was born in an even numbered month in an odd numbered year. Brea was born during an odd numbered month in an even numbered year.
  • Our wedding date was picked because it was an odd numbered day. The original date I chose, May 27, 1995 (all odd numbers) had to be abandoned because of family conflicts.
  • The full first names of both my daughters have an odd number of letters. Alexandra (9) and Breanna (7).
  • Knowing only the approximate date of Tilde's birth, we picked to celebrate her birthday each year on 11/13...original year of birth, 2007. (Yep. All odds.)
  • My chosen jersey numbers in high school were all odd numbered; 9 and 13 for volleyball, 53 for basketball. (Oddly enough, my husband's chosen jersey numbers, 10 and 42, are both even.)
  • I like zero. I don't consider it odd or even.
I can even find the odd numbers in most even numbered situations. (It's like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the father can take any word and show you how it's origins are Greek.)
  • There are 4 people who live in our little house, but it's 3 girls and 1 boy.
  • Even though Lexi, Brea, and I (Jenn) have 4 letter nicknames, when combined with our last name, the total letter count for each of our names is 9.
  • Our wedding party (ring bearer and flower girl not included) of 6 could be split into 2 sets of 3 (3 girls, 3 boys) and when combined with the pastor was a group of 7, or 9 with the flower girl and ring bearer included, when standing at the front of the church.
(I'll pause so you can roll your eyes and and laugh at the absurdity of all this rambling.)

Of course, there are times when things are just even and that's how it has to be. Take for example the counts associated with teaching fitness classes. Aerobics music is based on 32 count phrasing. Almost everything we do in a fitness class is done in sets of 2, 4, 8 or one of their multiples. Trying to fit things into any other count feels awkward and just flat out doesn't work. Definitely an instance when the use of even numbers is necessary!

And there you have it...my odd oddity.


peace

Comments

Marisa said…
I find this amusing, but only because I'm exactly the same way...but with even numbers! Things have to be even for me, I like symmetry. Although I haven't gone as far as you with names and dates, everything else, when I can control it, has to be an even number. I'm happier with 14 kids in my classroom rather than 13!
Pink Heels said…
Now this is a fascinating talent!
MS said…
How come I can't comment on the post above?? Thank goodness Brea has another source to help fulfill her insatiable appetite for books! Nice job, Lex!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace