Skip to main content

Ups and Downs...

It's a beautiful fall day here in Iowa. Tuesdays are my day off...no classes. I woke with the conviction to get things accomplished today. Cookies baked for a PTO commitment. Dishes washed. Carpets vacuumed. Laundry washed and hung to dry. And then somewhere along the way the reality of life got in my way and reared it's ugly head. Cookies are baked...and that's where the accomplishments for the day end.

The truth of the matter is, we as a family are struggling to financially hang on following the events of the past year. We're in a bit of a hole. And right now it's taking all we've got not to let that hole get any deeper. It's hard and frustrating and on days like today is the reason I suddenly and unexpectedly find myself in tears...more than once.

I struggle with how much of the situation to share here. On one hand I don't want to whine and complain. On the other I can no longer avoid the facts of where we currently stand. I can't pretend that it's OK. It's not. Life threatening? No. But it's not OK. It's exhausting trying to cover up the reality of our situation (whether it's from myself or others), to not let the rest of the world know about our dirty laundry, and to always appear that things are moving along just fine...now that Scott has a job, now that school has started, now that my teaching schedule is fuller. I'm lucky some days to have the energy to get out of bed and meet the basic needs of the day. Cleaning and organizing and so many things I have planned to tackle often get left behind with the hopes that sometime during that proverbial tomorrow I'll find more energy.

I know it's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's just where we are. I also know we are not alone. Not alone in our struggles. Not alone in our effort to cover up to outside eyes the gravity of what is our reality. People do it all the time...in all socioeconomic situations. And we are blessed to have had support, financially and emotionally, through it all...something not everyone who faces this struggle is lucky enough to have in their lives.

But on days like today, the tears still come. And I question and search and wonder how and when we will start to see the light at the end of our tunnel.


peace

Comments

jeffnersam said…
I can understand your post - I have been there (maybe not exactly but similar) and all I can tell you is what you already know...it will get better and better. I struggle with the "image" that we portray also - it gets SO tiring that sometimes just letting it be out there makes you feel better...but I think you already know all this. BTW - your girls are beautiful!
Jenn Sample
Sara said…
Hang in there! God has a plan - you might not know what it is, but it is in our tougher times we grow the most! I am proof of that! Love ya!

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace