Skip to main content

Seven...

Seven years ago yesterday, at 7:18 pm, the words "It's a girl!" forever changed our lives. What an amazing journey parenting has proven to be. Each year as we celebrate Lexi's birthday, I take pause to be thankful for both the experience and the amazing little lady who came into our lives on that day.

I'll admit, I'm not much of a big birthday party kinda mom. So our birthday celebrations tend to be pretty low key. Yesterday was a BEAUTIFUL day, not unlike the day Lexi was born. After a morning trip to the coffee shop for chocolate milk and a cinnamon roll with Dad (while I was teaching class), we loaded up the birthday girl (and her silly little sister of course) and made the 30 minute drive to the Hinegardner Orchard near Montour for some apple pickin'. The girls and I had first visited the orchard 2 years ago with Lexi's preschool, and it has since become one of our favorite fall destinations.

The last time Brea visited the orchard she was confined to the snuggly, strapped to Mommy. This year she got to participate in filling our bushel basket with a colorful array of apples.

Notice the signature Mavin concentration tongue.

To our surprise, some of the trees a ways into the orchard that the last time we visited were bare, this year hosted a healthy crop of pears!

The pears were a bit more work to pick, requiring the assistance of one of those long handled fruit picking baskets. But sooooooo worth the extra effort.

It was a lovely family outing.

We loaded our nicely filled basket into the back of Velma, shined up an apple for each of the girls to eat during the drive, and headed home for the next part of the celebration...the pizza making, movie watching, sleepover part.

Allison arrived around 4 and our house was immediately filled with crazy giggles, more than what you would assume 2, 7-year-olds and a tag-a-long 2-year-old could produce. The girls played, taking advantage of the nice weather, while I prepared the dough and toppings to put together our personal pizzas. I love making our own pizzas because everyone gets what they want without any compromise! Lexi: cheese. Allison: pepperoni and cheese. Brea: ham, olive and cheese. Mommy: lots of veggies, no sauce, and cheese. Daddy: lots of meat and cheese. (Plus, we make whole wheat crust...yummy!)

After pizza, and apples/pears with cream cheese dipping sauce for dessert, it was time for PJs and a movie. The night's feature flick, Barbie and the Diamond Castle. (I know, regardless of my personal views about all things Barbie, I have to remember to allow my girls to be girls...and I try to keep at least MOST of my negative Barbie comments to myself.) As you can see, the girls were TOTALLY engrossed in the cheesy storyline and really bad animation.

The girls FINALLY crashed out around 11:15 after a little over an hour of me venturing out to the living room to remind them it was time to quiet down. (Brea hit the wall around 10, which after a busy day with no nap, was late, late, late...hence why she slept in until almost 9 this morning!)

This morning started early for the big girls with them waking a bit before 7 and with SO MUCH ENERGY! We whipped up some of our favorite homemade waffles with strawberries and whipped cream and scrambled some eggs (and good, strong coffee for Mom and Dad), after which the girls ran off to make use of the short amount of time they had left together before Allison's parents arrived to pick her up.

Things are now quiet in our house. Lexi has asked for some quiet time to rest while watching a movie. Brea is busying herself between movie watching, apple snacking, and general 2-year-old busyness. Football is on in the livingroom and I'm enjoying the quiet hum of my computer. Overall, I'd say an enjoyable birthday was had. And just like that, we have a 7-year-old in da house!


peace

Comments

Pink Heels said…
I remember with great enthusiasm the days when the whole family packed up and spent an entire day at the apple orchard. We would climb trees, pick apples, and simply run until our legs couldn't carry us any longer. My mom would always make apple pie that evening. Yummy!

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace