Friday, August 1, 2008

Just 5 more weeks...

I lost weight again this year on RAGBRAI. Now before those unfamiliar with the event go, "Well, duh...you just pedaled your bike 450+ miles in a week, of course you lost weight," let me explain something. RAGBRAI could easily be renamed the Great Annual Ride for Pie. (Or pork chops, spaghetti, beer, ice cream, waffles, pancakes....I could keep going but I think you get the idea.) Yes, it is true that some people actually GAIN weight on RAGBRAI. Even with all of that riding, it's awfully easy to put more calories in that what comes out!

The funny thing is (beer consumption aside) I probably eat healthier and more consciously on RAGBRAI than I do the other 51 weeks of the year. I eat to fuel. Jason and I figure we probably need 1200-1500 calories a day for riding purposes. (That's on top of what your body needs for normal functioning.) That's pretty easy to get when you're stopping every 1.5-2 hours along the way. Funds are tight, food is expensive, so I try to choose the best nutrients for my dollar. And while I was nervous about eating vegetarian this year, it was actually pretty easy. Luckily after last year we knew to watch for certain stands along the way (Garden of Eden and their smoothies and black bean burritos; the Pizza place with their whole wheat crust veggie pizza with broccoli...YUM). We eat early and often, moderate amounts at a time. It seems to work great.

This year it was also nice to have our own rig and people along who took it upon themselves to make us a couple of amazing, fresh evening meals thanks to Carlos's garden and Greta's skills with a knife. It's gonna take A LOT to surpass the night of the tofu, garden veggie pasta salad! Crusty bread, cheese and wine...I mean come on, life doesn't get much better than that, on RAGBRAI or other wise!!!

So once again I return home a few pounds lighter, overall feeling slimmer, and hoping that I can carry on the weight loss for a few more weeks. If only I could RAGBRAI for about 5 more weeks...I think that would just about do it...


peace

No comments: